Yikes... dont drink in this bar...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cvchief

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone hear gunfire at the Palace on Sunday? Looks like the guy was from just west of Mexico City? Maybe a benefit of the new airlink operating between Mexico City and Cozumel?

From Por Esto via Google Translate:

COZUMEL, July 10 .- Two unidentified persons shot dead a man identified as Jorge Alfredo Muciño Cervantes, who died in the hospital for the impact to a lung caused by nine millimeter caliber bullets. Although the murder occurred a few meters from the municipal Public Security headquarters, there is no arrest. The Judicial Police on the island and investigate.
According to the facts, around 03:00 hours on Sunday, when 066 were reported injured person with a firearm on Avenida Rafael E. Melgar, between Calle 11 and 13 South Central neighborhood, one block from Public Safety, in front of a shopping center and across from the Cozumel Palace hotel, in fact entry of the Hotel Zone-South, so he approached police personnel, as well as Amber Cross and ambulance clinical Cozumel Medical Center (CMC).
As the paramedics of the clinic who immediately tried to address the subject wearing dark pants, gray shirt with black stripes, who bathed in blood, was reluctant to receive help from paramedics, until a person referred "Mara, let us help you, this is life or death, everything will be fine," so overwhelmed by the amount of blood lost, vanished on the vehicle he was driving.
According to data provided by the police authorities, the injured was leaving a nightclub close to the scene, when a surprise hit by two nine-millimeter caliber in the body, the first up to the ear left off the jaw of the right side, while the second bullet entered his left forearm, taking a path through the right shoulder, so initially he was transferred to CMC, but minutes later was transferred to the Health Center.
The vehicle he was traveling Jorge Alfredo Gutierrez Muciño, 38-year-old native of Toluca, Tsuru was a white license plates 839-PBJ, Federal District, so it immediately became the verification System Platform through Mexico, found that the car had reported as stolen since last August 24, 2010.
It should be noted that immediately cordoned off the area where the shooting occurred, to the staff of the Public Ministry of Common Law (MPFC) may attest to the facts as well as lifting caps by experts.
Among the little information that could provide the injured, said he had just arrived on the island of Cozumel, however, around 13:20 pm on Sunday, announced the death of a bullet wound, which was due the drilling that was one of the lungs, according to unofficial versions.
Also transcended the presence of a group of judicial officers who arrived on the island to conduct the necessary investigations into the case of the subject, who was later revealed that he also called "Mara 18" through the Attorney General Common Law .

The "victim" was apparently driving a car stolen in Mexico City. Hopefully an isolated incident, but pretty scary to have an assassination in Ched's parking lot :-(

Still one guy getting popped every couple years, I can live with that. Cant wait to read tomorrow's edition and see if they caught them.

Someone posted this info over on TA, and the thread got whacked......rumor mill was it was drug related somehow.

If this is true, it's what I've said a few times. Cozumel or Cancun or anyplace in Mexico is no safe haven from the drug violence in Mexico. All it takes is some circumstances to come together and things can change quite dramatically.

All it takes is a few members of a drug cartel to go to Cancun, Akumal, Playa, Cozumel etc.. for whatever reason, to get some sun, visit a relative, visit a sick relative, whatever reason. Violence can be quick to follow these people around, then you have an incident.

Just the other day in a small city near here, a guy popped his girl and then walked up and double tapped her. Violence happens. Still playing the averages, Coz does pretty well.

The Cozumel Palace is so fancy it actually runs noise cancellation sonic technology through its rooms and corridors specifically designed to cancel out any offending gun shots or loud screams.

(:wink: I wish - the main complaint about the place is that any noise in the corridors echoes in the marble cladded rooms)

The translation of that article was seriously lacking! :shocked2:

As far as the shooting, of course it most likely drug related. I'd be shocked if it weren't. However, one incident every now and then where some guy that one of the cartels is after happens to be vacationing or hiding out in Cozumel and the bad guys catch up with him does not come anywhere close to being able to say Cozumel is unsafe. Just about every major city in the U.S. has several murders a week! Just because this one was probably related to the drug war in Mexico does not mean that the drug war has come to Cozumel. It was an isolated incident.

I still feel a lot safer walking the streets of San Miguel at night that I do Kansas City....

The translation of that article was seriously lacking! :shocked2:As far as the shooting, of course it most likely drug related. I'd be shocked if it weren't. However, one incident every now and then where some guy that one of the cartels is after happens to be vacationing or hiding out in Cozumel and the bad guys catch up with him does not come anywhere close to being able to say Cozumel is unsafe. Just about every major city in the U.S. has several murders a week! Just because this one was probably related to the drug war in Mexico does not mean that the drug war has come to Cozumel. It was an isolated incident. I still feel a lot safer walking the streets of San Miguel at night that I do Kansas City....
I agree about the translation being lacking. While i got the gist of the article (and i appreciate the OP posting this) could you provide us with a better translation?

As you said, I also hope that this was an isolated incident. But it does raise the question: Where is the threshold? When does a shooting transition from being "an isolated incident" to a "problem on the island?"

Last edited:
As I see it Cozumel is no longer isolated from all the drug violence but is still safer than most other areas in Mexico and many places here in the states.
Just hope it doesn't get any worse.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom