Yikes... dont drink in this bar...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Best I can roughly figure San Miguel itself has about 77,236 residents and averaging 3 murders a year gives them a rate of .039 murders per year per 1,000 residents. Using 2009 FBI numbers, that would say they have a bit more murder than Anaheim, California (at .03) , but less than Virginia Beach, VA (at .04).
So if you are considering vacations, you would be slightly safer in downtown San Miguel than in all-American family beach resort town of Virginia Beach. (Esp if you involved in being a narcotraficante. If not, you might be even safer in Coz) Thats half the murder rate of Vegas and only a third of the rate in Pittsburgh. (Go Steelers...)

Again I apologize for the translation, but Por Esto writes in alot of colloquialisms and idioms that Google can’t handle.

From Por Esto via Google Translate:
Ambush by reckoning
COZUMEL, July 11 .- With total secrecy are conducting the investigation about the murder of Jose Alfredo Gutierrez Muciño alias "El Mara 18", made the early hours of Sunday-, since not want to impede the progress the case. Although unofficial accounts say it was a settling of accounts, ministry officials chose to omit data on what happened, however, confirmed the arrival of a panel of judicial officers to investigate the killing.
As you recall, early on Sunday July 10, Jose Alfredo Gutierrez Muciño, alias "El Mara 18", was wounded by two shots with a firearm carried 9 mm on the Avenida Rafael E. Melgar, between 11 and 13 avenue, a few meters from City Hall and the Department of Public Safety. The above died hours later at the General Hospital because of impacts received one he entered the height of the ear and broke his jaw and another entered his forearm, puncturing both lungs, so that staff of the Office General for Justice in the State (PGJE), through the State Judicial Police (PJE), brought the case and started investigations.
According to the preliminary 1017, which began with the crime of acts constituting injury and before the Public Ministry of Common Law (MPFC) in Cozumel, which changed the crime of murder to death last Sunday Muciño Gutierrez, CEO of Preliminary Investigations in the north, Leopoldo Navarro Cruz, reported that doing research on the case of "Mara 18", but failed to elaborate on relevant information by the same confidentiality of investigations.
After waiting over an hour the officer to gather more data from the bloody murder, only went out to meet the press and simply could not report that data, "since it could hamper investigations," although he hinted that the event it was a bloody settling of accounts.
Just as we reported, last arrived first thing Monday morning a group specializing in homicides belonging to the State Judicial Police, as well as the first commander of the north, Jesus Carrillo Heredia, as well as the state director of the Police, Eduardo Chacon Ramon Segovia, who refused to give an interview to the media.
However it emerged that so far not had the results of the autopsy of the deceased law applied, but were sent evidence of gastric fluid and blood to Playa del Carmen to see if "Mara 18" intoxicated by a narcotic or had consumed alcoholic beverages.
Note that sources inside the PGJE said they are already working through the frames of the video surveillance of public security, in order to have progress, the time when it was learned that inside the white Tsuru license plates 839-PBJ Federal District, he found an envelope with a white substance, allegedly cocaine.
It also emerged that contrary to what was said at the beginning of what happened with respect to the deceased was in a nightclub, according to unofficial versions Muciño Gutierrez said they arrived at the scene, because they asked a dose of drug-possibly found inside the vehicle, but had no time to lose the drive, since you already waited two guys on a motorcycle, which so far the authorities have not released their characteristics who shot him with a firearm caliber nine millimeters.
So far no one has come close to the MPFC to claim the body of mucin Gutierrez, but will wait the required time, if anyone present could be deposited in the grave.

Unaccustomed to executions
COZUMEL, July 11 .- Leaders of business organizations lament the gun attack carried out early on Sunday in the first frame of the city against a person allegedly linked to illegal activities that hours later he died. Agree that the island community is not accustomed to such events, or want to, that is why demand more security in the area of the seriousness of the facts and the beginning of the summer, to the relief of local residents and visitors.
As you may recall, last Sunday morning, a man allegedly linked to drug dealing was shot twice in the central Avenida Rafael E. 11 Melgar, so that later lost his life in a nursing two bullet wounds, which eventually resulted in the tenth run in Cozumel, in a period of approximately three years. The first was on July 14, 2008, the murder of Juan Fernando Flores Melendez, aka "The Wacash."
According to Jose Becerra, president of the National Chamber of the Restaurant Industry and spicy foods (CANIRAC), "even with these facts, Cozumel remains the safest municipality whose population is not used to seeing these bloody events or you get used to, and the consequence is that it has relevance to media statewide and even national, which in its consideration to the detriment of entrepreneurs who are working to promote the destination. "
Proposes strengthening security in tourist areas "because this happened in a tourist area, it was not in the 100 Avenue, it was not in the colony Chentuk, went on the boardwalk, in the window of Cozumel and in front of city hall."
He said the area where the incident occurred "has two popular restaurants, two nightclubs, are opening shops and if we have shot ahead, imagine. Just talk to employers of one of these restaurants to try to extend their working hours at night, and how can I convince them that open at night? if the shooting outside his door. "
He noted the government's efforts to provide security and patrols are needed, because even have been fighting "bandit" in the area.
For Juan Carlos Villanueva Lopez, a businessman and president of the National Chamber of Commerce, Services and Tourism (Kanak-SERVYTUR), it is unfortunate this bloody deed in which a person lost to life, noting that "it has to work to identify where this situation arises because it is desirable that these events begin to set a precedent against the island. "
He continued that "the authorities must do their part in the research field, in order to have an official response about it." He added, "Cozumel has always lived in safety and must continue that way because in Cozumel are not used to this nor want to be."

The bottom line is that the driver of the vehicle, stolen from Toluca, was shot by one man on a motorcycle and that there were a small quantity of drugs in the car.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

This solidifies my belief that they need to step up security at the ferry pier in Calica. We took the ferry from Calica to Cozumel in April & there was no checking of the vehicles at all on that end. On the return, there was a full detachment of Marines & several dogs checking docs & vehicles on the Coz side.

I would venture to guess he stole the vehicle & the drugs were already in it, hence the quick and direct retaliation. Had they checked at Calica, never would have happened on the island.

Mike

Good idea about having better check points at Calica but........this car was stolen in August 2010........I'm sure the guy had enough time to clean out the trunk........hahha.

I still feel a lot safer walking the streets of San Miguel at night that I do Kansas City....
As you should:

In 2010 Forbes.com ranked Kansas City as the third most dangerous city in the country.

I wouldn't vacation in Kansas City.

I wouldn't hesitate to go to Cozumel though--well, not out of concern for my safety, anyway--but maybe the people who were appalled three weeks ago that anybody would even ask about the safety should reevaluate:

With all the reports out about the dangers of Mexico I was just wondering how safe is Cozumel? We are going to bring our grandkids and want to make sure it is safe!

I can't believe this question even has to be asked. Have you ever seen anything in the news about cartel violence in Cozumel?

I'm not sure yet, but perhaps I just did.

As you said, I also hope that this was an isolated incident. But it does raise the question: Where is the threshold? When does a shooting transition from being "an isolated incident" to a "problem on the island?"

I suspect it will be as soon as a tourist is part of the collateral damage.

As you should:

I wouldn't vacation in Kansas City.

Sorry but I have to call shenanigans on that Forbes quote saying KC was the 3rd most dangerous city in the U.S. in 2010. I seriously doubt that. Saint Louis always ranks way higher on the lists, and putting us 3rd puts us up there with cities like Detroit, Oakland, Chicago, Baltimore, DC, NY etc....

There's no way KC is up there with or ahead of any of those. Kansas City is pretty middle of the road as far as crime in medium sized cities is concerned. Now if that Forbes quote is about Kansas City Kansas, and it's crime per capita, it's possible. But I don't live in Kansas. The real Kansas City(Home of the Chiefs and Royals) is Kansas City Missouri.

Sorry but I have to call shenanigans on that Forbes quote saying KC was the 3rd most dangerous city in the U.S. in 2010. I seriously doubt that. Saint Louis always ranks way higher on the lists, and putting us 3rd puts us up there with cities like Detroit, Oakland, Chicago, Baltimore, DC, NY etc....
You're right about St Louis--it's number two. New York is nowhere near the top of that list. It is frequently cited as the safest large city in the United States. Compare its murder rate in 2008 to KC's: 6.3/100,000 in NYC, 25.5/100,000 in KC .

But that quote from Forbes is misleading in this context. It includes other dangers besides crime (traffic and weather, for examples) in its assessment. By total violent crime KC would be 8th (NYC = 55th), by murder and non-negligent homicide it would be 9th (NYC = 53rd). Here's the Forbes article:

The Country’s Most Dangerous Cities
1. Memphis, Tenn.2. St. Louis, Mo.3. Kansas City, Mo.4. Detroit, Mi.5. Miami, Fla.6. Tulsa, Okla.7. Nashville-Davidson, Tenn.8. Indianapolis, Ind.9. Oklahoma City, Okla.10. Stockton, Calif.

New York is nowhere near the top of that list. It is frequently cited as the safest large city in the United States. Compare its murder rate in 2008 to KC's: 6.3/100,000 in NYC, 25.5/100,000 in KC .

But that quote from Forbes is misleading in this context. It includes other dangers besides crime (traffic and weather, for examples) in its assessment. Here's the Forbes article:

The Country’s Most Dangerous Cities1. Memphis, Tenn.2. St. Louis, Mo.3. Kansas City, Mo.4. Detroit, Mi.5. Miami, Fla.6. Tulsa, Okla.7. Nashville-Davidson, Tenn.8. Indianapolis, Ind.9. Oklahoma City, Okla.10. Stockton, Calif.

Yeah, I would say a whole lot of other things besides crime have to be involved in the making of that list. Tulsa is #7? I've heard all the stories about the terrible gang activity in Tulsa Oklahoma! And don't even get me started on how dangerous Desmoins Iowa is!!! :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom