Yikes... dont drink in this bar...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The last one was almost two years ago - and that was actually 4 in one - again it was a targeted drug hit - those guys were running from the people they stole from and they were found - no one else was hurt as in this case. Doesn't make it right, but let's also not sensationalize it.

The last one was almost two years ago - and that was actually 4 in one - again it was a targeted drug hit - those guys were running from the people they stole from and they were found - no one else was hurt as in this case. Doesn't make it right, but let's also not sensationalize it.
Nope, don't want to sensationalize it all. I'll join the chorus when people ask singing Coz's generally low crime rate - altho it's fine for new visitors to ask and prudent to be reasonably careful. It's also not "one murder every three or four years," plus there was the cruise ship employee and two others as I recall.

I think that as long as tourists and visitors avoid buying or selling drugs, they should be very very very safe from any such events.....

Don't you???

I think that as long as tourists and visitors avoid buying or selling drugs, they should be very very very safe from any such events.....

Don't you???
Yeah, I think so. The shooters seem to be good shots so stray rounds are not a likely risk.

Overall yeah, the general safety and low crime rate of the island are quite admirable.

5 drug related murders in less than 2 years is inherently sensational, I don't think it's been artificially hyped. I'm more concerned by efforts to down-play it on the board, but I can understand the PR reasons why it's being done.

I still feel comfortable vacationing in Coz though, for now.

Last edited:
5 drug related murders in less than 2 years is inherently sensational, I don't think it's been artificially hyped. I'm more concerned by efforts to down-play it on the board, but I can understand the PR reasons why it's being done.
Surely being the world's most popular cruiseship port and a regular vacation spot for the Mexican President wouldn't make Cozumel any more dangerous than the unknown backwater island everyone pretends it to be?

I think that as long as tourists and visitors avoid buying or selling drugs, they should be very very very safe from any such events.....Don't you???
I would hope so. That's the way it's supposed to work, anyway.

A sad event happened the other day on a reservation just outside of Edmonton. A five year old boy was shot in the head while he slept in his home. The reserve is no less troubled by gang youth and domestic violence as the regular towns and cities of Canada.
I wonder if people will stop coming to visit the Rockies because of this event. O ya no one will read about it much so no doubt Canada will remain a relatively safe place to visit. There are more people killed by murder in Edmonton that all of Cozumel island. We do have 10 times the population but weve had 24 murder so far this year. There goes the ratio eh.
Race profiling with violence is a white mans propaganda tool. The media sensationalizes with it. Good reading for the papers. People frighten easily because of false security at home. Then they wont travel as the false pretenses created by the media make them think it's unsafe ALL over Mexico. Wow our jobs as Cozumel adventure pushers is secure.

firstdive2005

Race profiling with violence is a white mans propaganda tool.

Say what????? :no:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom