Yikes... dont drink in this bar...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good idea about having better check points at Calica but........this car was stolen in August 2010........I'm sure the guy had enough time to clean out the trunk........hahha.

Missed that little detail.....or he was really stupid!

Mike

You're right about St Louis--it's number two. New York is nowhere near the top of that list. It is frequently cited as the safest large city in the United States. Compare its murder rate in 2008 to KC's: 6.3/100,000 in NYC, 25.5/100,000 in KC .

But that quote from Forbes is misleading in this context. It includes other dangers besides crime (traffic and weather, for examples) in its assessment. By total violent crime KC would be 8th (NYC = 55th), by murder and non-negligent homicide it would be 9th (NYC = 53rd). Here's the Forbes article:

The Country’s Most Dangerous Cities
1. Memphis, Tenn.2. St. Louis, Mo.3. Kansas City, Mo.4. Detroit, Mi.5. Miami, Fla.6. Tulsa, Okla.7. Nashville-Davidson, Tenn.8. Indianapolis, Ind.9. Oklahoma City, Okla.10. Stockton, Calif.

Dang, I'm hitting # 1 & #3 when I go to Kansas City next month for Farm Aid. Who would have thought musicians & farmers could be so dangerous!

Mike

Dang, I'm hitting # 1 & #3 when I go to Kansas City next month for Farm Aid. Who would have thought musicians & farmers could be so dangerous!

Mike
Too bad it's not in Detroit where it's safer!
:rofl3:

Where is Farm Aid taking place this year, the Liberty Memorial? If so, it's not crime you need to watch out for. That place is a popular hangout for people with shall we say, alternative lifestyles? :mooner:

But don't worry, on concert days, you wouldn't really know it because most of the people at concerts there are from the burbs.

Hmmm... Since I am from St Louis perhaps Cozumel would prefer that I not vacation down there? :eyebrow:

Too bad it's not in Detroit where it's safer!
:rofl3:

Where is Farm Aid taking place this year, the Liberty Memorial? If so, it's not crime you need to watch out for. That place is a popular hangout for people with shall we say, alternative lifestyles? :mooner:

But don't worry, on concert days, you wouldn't really know it because most of the people at concerts there are from the burbs.

It's at the Livestrong Soccer Stadium.

Not worried about the alternative life styles....I'm from the Austin area and my better half has a hair salon. Still can't handle seeing two guys kissing though.....now girls, hmmmmm

Mike

It's at the Livestrong Soccer Stadium.

Not worried about the alternative life styles....I'm from the Austin area and my better half has a hair salon. Still can't handle seeing two guys kissing though.....now girls, hmmmmm

Mike
That's supposed to be a really cool venue! It only opened a few weeks ago. I haven't made it out there to check it out yet. You should also check out the Power and Light District while you're up.

This was a targeted drug hit, bottom line - but not of the same nature that is going on in the border towns, etc. The guy was hiding out here on the island and the people he stole from caught up with him. They waited for him to come out of the bar, followed him away from the crowd and shot him.

No, it's not good news for the island, but as someone said earlier in the thread - it is still safer here than virtually anywhere else. This news just gets sensationalized because it's Mexico - watch your local news people - I bet you have more than one murder every three or four years, and I bet they are much more random! Every city and every country have drugs and gangs related to them - it's a world problem in case y'all haven't figured that out yet.

If you are not involved with them, not trying to buy them, not selling them, not associating with people that do - then your risk is no greater than anywhere else.

Well, "one murder every three or four years" may be inaccurate. This makes 8 in a few years that I remember, but still - I agree, safer than many US cities.

I suspect that whatever it is, the incidence of violent crime in Cozumel looks like a bargain compared to just about any city in the United States. Looking at the prior three years, however, might not be a particularly good indicator of the next six months, say, in a country that has seen a fairly dramatic increase and spread of violence. It bears watching is my point, rather than blithely assuming that the situation will remain stable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom