Crocodiles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlyle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Alertan por cocodrilos en Cozumel; uno habría atacado a un turista

English

COZUMEL, MX.- Three crocodiles have been observed inside the sea in different parts of the island of Cozumel, one of them attacking a tourist inside the hotel pool in the southern hotel zone that caused minor head injuries, In the early hours of this Sunday. Biologists say that because of the drought in the mangroves they have been forced to go to the sea in search of food and in their path they have run into the human being or constructions when their habitat is invaded.

Last Saturday afternoon some young people who swam near the Aqua Safari dock at Rafael E. Melgar between 5 and 7 of the Centro Colony, observed a crocodile with a meter and a half long that swims near them, so they gave part to the authorities, arriving elements of firemen and Civil Protection, however, they could not capture the reptile.

The dawn of this Sunday, at about 3:00, it was reported to the emergency number 911 that at the Alegro hotel in the southern hotel zone, a tourist had been attacked by a crocodile, being inside the pool, apparently the reptile got into the pool and the tourist did not notice his presence and being swimming in the pool the saury considered his territory was invaded and attacked him causing head injuries, being transferred to a private clinic for his attention without being It's serious.

Also, while celebrating the Great Fund of New York, about 200 meters from the finish line, a copy of crocodile was captured at the Palace hotel, swimming in the marine waters in front of the lodging center, so that part to firefighters for their capture and subsequent release in their natural habitat in Punta Sur.

According to the biologists of the island, the presence of crocodiles in the sea or hotel facilities is due to the fact that, with the drought, the mangroves where they normally live have dried up and their food is scarce so they go to the sea in search of fish and being territorial, if they find a person they could attack it, although it is more common for them to move away by being fearful. (Noticaribe)

Salt water crocodiles in Coz?

Let me guess, you work for the tourist bureau in Playa?

Salt water crocodiles in Coz?

Let me guess, you work for the tourist bureau in Playa?

Uh yea - if you ever do a round of golf and get a ball close to the water, ya might want to leave it there

They are not Saltwater crocodiles (Crocodylus porosus). They are American Crocodiles, or Crocodylus acutus and they don’t mind swimming in saltwater to hunt, move from one range to another, or look for a mate. They are one of two types of crocodile living on Cozumel. They are increasing in number and size, because they are now protected. They used to be hunted for meat and skins and that kept their numbers down.

Well, with all sincerity, thank you. I had no idea fresh water crocs delve into the surf.

I can deal with a lot of things but alligators and crocodiles scare the bejesus out of me to be in the water with them. It's that whole death roll thing.

Not Coz, but this guy (gator, not croc I believe) was hanging out at the base of the entry stairs to the basin at Silver Springs, Florida last March on the first day of the Sea Hunt Forever Show. Had to get the rangers to shoo it away before we could dive. :)

GHg7uy.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom