Yet another weighting guidance question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just replaced the battery on the Suunto D9tx. I paid $3 for the battery from Amazon.

Wondering if I should send the extra $50 for changing the battery to my local dive shop as a royalty?

As an aside, I searched eBay for D9tx computers. Shocked and stunned at the prices they're listed for, ~$550; you could get a decent computer for those prices! A new Periquine for example. Or maybe even a second hand Perdix v1 from a fashion tart (don't tell them that there's nothing wrong with the v1 -- need the marketing victims to go out an buy new so the rest of us can have their underused cast-offs!)
You can buy one second hand perdix 1 at this price on the you ‘know what’ U.K. FB group because the person is upgrading to a perdix 2

8lbs sounds like a consensus.

Then add 2%, call it 2kg/4lbs, for salt water. Then add the weight of the air in the tin, ~6lbs, and it's nearer to 10lbs. So will start at 8 and see if I can drop it some more.
I haven't read all the replies yet, so someone else might have already mentioned this. If you are diving without a wetsuit, a BP/W (AL plate) which is likely around neutral, negative fins (you mentioned jets) I would be surprised if you need 8 lbs. What you need for sure is enough ballast to offset the 4lbs positive empty AL80, but you also have a regulator which is negative, fins which are negative, and a light and maybe some other accessories which are negative. If your body is positive, which depends on your build, maybe a couple of lbs to offset that.

I use 6-8 lbs in the Caribbean with a 3 mil wetsuit and AL plate, and neutral fins. I'm Mr. Average in terms of build. With no wetsuit, I bet you can get by with 4lbs or maybe even less. But you might consider taking different fins. I love using full foot Mares avantis in the Caribbean; they're basically neutral, very comfortable, and easy to maneuver around in. With jets my feet would sink like crazy, especially if I didn't have any neoprene on my legs and butt.

I was planning to trim out and balance the jet fins by putting the lead weight up high, on the top cam band.
The difference in lever arms is pretty large, and you'll not need much lead to be properly weighted. I question whether even putting all of it on the camband would do the job. A pool session will be very useful.

You can buy one second hand perdix 1 at this price on the you ‘know what’ U.K. FB group because the person is upgrading to a perdix 2
Ha ha, I'm still using a Petrel 2

Back on topic;

I'm diving with a SS backplate only with a skin locally as the water temp is 32C and I sink easy despite the Persian Gulf being the second most salty place to dive.

Over in the Gulf of Oman where the water temps are much lower (23C) and less salty I add 4lbs on an AL80 wearing a 5mm wetsuit.

Enjoy your trip.

Just replaced the battery on the Suunto D9tx. I paid $3 for the battery from Amazon.

Wondering if I should send the extra $50 for changing the battery to my local dive shop as a royalty?

As an aside, I searched eBay for D9tx computers. Shocked and stunned at the prices they're listed for, ~$550; you could get a decent computer for those prices! A new Periquine for example. Or maybe even a second hand Perdix v1 from a fashion tart (don't tell them that there's nothing wrong with the v1 -- need the marketing victims to go out an buy new so the rest of us can have their underused cast-offs!)

Even brand new ones can be bought nowadays (with little bit push). Narkedat90 has promotion on discounted models;

49A488CD-107F-4E1B-B3D0-2C627FF0C188.png

CFFE6CB4-3853-403F-A075-0CEDF5F48410.png

Out of curiosity, I was planning to trim out and balance the jet fins by putting the lead weight up high, on the top cam band.

Also the jet fins are the lighter weight rubber at 3.5kg/7.7 lbs the pair.
If you like the Jets, the OMS slipstreams are the same thing but much lighter. I bought a couple of different sizes when they came out. I like the look of the Deep Six ones and they aren't too heavy but I haven't tried them yet. I still have my Mares Quatros, I just never liked them on diamond plate boat decks or ladders, too slippery.

It is absolutely possible to dive jets with an AL80, a shorty 2mm wetsuit, and be perfectly horizontal in the water. The rig just has to be trimmed out that way. Yeah, if you change a major component of your rig you might have to re-trim it. But, that’s not a fault with the fin.

...I would bring some exposure suit. Either s 3/2 full suit or a shorty or a two piece set you can layer and a rashguard or several.

@Wibble

+1 on wearing some exposure protection, if not for keeping warm, then for protection from stings, etc.

If you're doing any rocky or other shore dives, you might appreciate boots with open heel fins rather than full foot fins.

You've gotten good advice for finding a starting point for weighting.

Have a great time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom