Yet another weighting guidance question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I now get why people dive in warm waters.

It’s so damn easy.

Everything is so much easier as you’ve no gloves, hood and drysuit to limit your dexterity and senses. Your rig is a noddy single tank and no extra cylinders, just turn the valve on, test breathe, climb in and buckle up. Kitting up takes one minute. There’s no planning and little thinking required as you must obey the DiveMasters.

The reefs are pretty. Amazing variety of flora and fauna just getting in with their lives.

Pity the dives are so short and the DiveMasters are constantly rattling away as they herd their flock of scoobie noobies.

Nice to know how the other half lives.
Was it really the first time you dive in warm waters?

It’s Sandals (an all inclusive resort that includes "free" scuba) so very little scope for leeway. It’s not a diving holiday so the few dives I’ve had are very much a billy bonus.

Has been fascinating to experience the US-style mass cattle boat diving where DiveMasters rule and a guy on the transom checks everyone’s valve before they jump.

It’s the first time I’ve dived in really warm water, 30C/86F, where no exposure protection is required. The rash vest is as important for sun protection as for warmth or critter protection.

Have very much enjoyed the reef diving as there’s so much going on. Definitely want to experience more of this in other exotic locations, maybe as a diving holiday.

Still not as interesting as rusting metal though!

It’s Sandals (an all inclusive resort that includes "free" scuba) so very little scope for leeway. It’s not a diving holiday so the few dives I’ve had are very much a billy bonus.

Has been fascinating to experience the US-style mass cattle boat diving where DiveMasters rule and a guy on the transom checks everyone’s valve before they jump.

Aah, you're diving with Sandals - that explains it. 😁

Ok, carry on with the masses.

US-style mass cattle boat diving where DiveMasters rule and a guy on the transom checks everyone’s valve before they jump
So you are at a Sandals on a Caribbean island and suddenly you know all about US diving? Right.

Still not as interesting as rusting metal though!
Off topic, but I will be quick.
Rusting metal in warm water is even better. I have done the dry suit cold water wrecks, this much more fun.
Back on topic, sorry.

So you are at a Sandals on a Caribbean island and suddenly you know all about US diving? Right.
Firstly, that wasn’t meant to be any form of dig at American cattle boat diving however that may be.

Am amazed at how American it feels in Sandals, probably over 80% of guests are American with the rest being Brits and the odd Canadian. The currency is USD, not East Caribbean Dollars. The buildings use American components (loo, fire alarms, signage).

The dive boats seem pretty much as described by people on this forum as "cattle boats".

So I don’t think it’s unreasonable to assume the boats in Sandals would be similar to US boats aimed at recreational diving. Do let me know if that’s not the case.

Firstly, that wasn’t meant to be any form of dig at American cattle boat diving however that may be.

Am amazed at how American it feels in Sandals, probably over 80% of guests are American with the rest being Brits and the odd Canadian. The currency is USD, not East Caribbean Dollars. The buildings use American components (loo, fire alarms, signage).

The dive boats seem pretty much as described by people on this forum as "cattle boats".

So I don’t think it’s unreasonable to assume the boats in Sandals would be similar to US boats aimed at recreational diving. Do let me know if that’s not the case.
Sounds like a Brit having a bit of culture shock. 😁

Correct, you made an assumption. There are cattle boats all over the world,, and not all US recreational boats are cattle boats.

Back
Top Bottom