Yet another weighting guidance question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wibble

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Am about to do something completely different; something I've never done before. Am almost nervous about it...

Going to dive in the warm, clear waters of the Caribbean -- St Lucia -- in a couple of weeks. It's so warm that you don't need a wetsuit -- allegedly!

Am bringing my own regs (have even converted it from DIN to yoke/internationale). Have woken the Halcyon Eclipse from its 5 year slumber -- and changed the inflator which was leaking! Have made up a one-piece harness with an aluminium backplate. Have even mounted it on an ali80 cylinder (with a 18/45 mix -- don't have air!). Have even put a little battery on the primary torch, not even going to bring the umbilical. Oh, and booties to fit in the ancient Jet Fins.

The only thing I've no idea about is what weight I should start with! Assuming I'm wearing a rash vest and budgie smugglers, would I expect to sink? I've put three weight pouches on the double tank bands, so should be OK for up to 6kg/14lbs -- but that's a ridiculous amount!

Give us a clue!

Also I assume a Rescue Diver card's sufficient. Bit old now; recent certifications are all technical.

I used 8lbs with a rental BC and an AL80 in Aruba, and probably could've used less. I'm not nearly as experienced as you are, so you could almost certainly get away with less.

I'd agree that 8lbs is a good starting point for salt.... A lot may depend on your BMI. Are you carrying a lot of extra "natural" insulation......or are you "lean and mean" ?

How much bioprene do you guys have? With a SS BP and STA which adds up to 6 lbs and a 5 mil wetsuit, i don't need any extra weight with an AL80.

It's tough to answer questions like this because there are always variables. But 8 lbs is probably a good starting point.
You're right, that is tough to answer without some other info. And even then, it's more of a guessing game. You say 8 lbs is a good starting point, and perhaps it is. But last year in Roatan, I dove in swim trunks and a rash guard, using a lightweight back inflate BCD and needed 14 lbs. But I'm a big guy (over 6 feet tall, 250 lbs). So the best way to do it is guess on the first dive based on previous diving and adjust after that taing into account protection suit, equipment, fresh vs. salt water, etc. That's what I do and I usually hit it really close.

I am 188 cm tall and 99 kg currently, I don’t use weight while diving with SS BP and SS STA along with rash guard and board shorts. I am adding 2kg/4lb. on cam bands if i am using aluminum backplate.

Always AL80, DIN MK17, handheld flashlight and hardware on continuous webbing harness all I have on me.

8lbs sounds like a consensus.

Have lost some weight recently so a bit more lean. They do a mandatory pool checkout -- am going to a Sandals resort -- so that'll be the best place to start.

If I was snorkelling in a pool, I'd only need 2 or 3 lbs to sink. Nothing else on that kit config is at all floaty, so there's a chance that it'll be divable in a pool with no additional weight.

Then add 2%, call it 2kg/4lbs, for salt water. Then add the weight of the air in the tin, ~6lbs, and it's nearer to 10lbs. So will start at 8 and see if I can drop it some more.

Other things I'll need to learn: what's a buddy?!? What's a buddy check (yep, there's one there)?

Oh, and I've just dusted off my "trusty" Suunto D9tx. Pressed the button and it read Bat Low and hung!

Thankfully the Perdix works quite happily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom