Yet another weighting guidance question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

8lbs sounds like a consensus.

Have lost some weight recently so a bit more lean. They do a mandatory pool checkout -- am going to a Sandals resort -- so that'll be the best place to start.

If I was snorkelling in a pool, I'd only need 2 or 3 lbs to sink. Nothing else on that kit config is at all floaty, so there's a chance that it'll be divable in a pool with no additional weight.

Then add 2%, call it 2kg/4lbs, for salt water. Then add the weight of the air in the tin, ~6lbs, and it's nearer to 10lbs. So will start at 8 and see if I can drop it some more.

Other things I'll need to learn: what's a buddy?!? What's a buddy check (yep, there's one there)?

Oh, and I've just dusted off my "trusty" Suunto D9tx. Pressed the button and it read Bat Low and hung!

Thankfully the Perdix works quite happily.
I had to look up budgie smuggler...
Is a rash vest a thin shirt, or is it a neoprene vest?
You'll need 6-10 pounds, most likely. Checking in salt water is better than fresh water plus calculating.

Am about to do something completely different; something I've never done before. Am almost nervous about it...

Going to dive in the warm, clear waters of the Caribbean -- St Lucia -- in a couple of weeks. It's so warm that you don't need a wetsuit -- allegedly!

Am bringing my own regs (have even converted it from DIN to yoke/internationale). Have woken the Halcyon Eclipse from its 5 year slumber -- and changed the inflator which was leaking! Have made up a one-piece harness with an aluminium backplate. Have even mounted it on an ali80 cylinder (with a 18/45 mix -- don't have air!). Have even put a little battery on the primary torch, not even going to bring the umbilical. Oh, and booties to fit in the ancient Jet Fins.

The only thing I've no idea about is what weight I should start with! Assuming I'm wearing a rash vest and budgie smugglers, would I expect to sink? I've put three weight pouches on the double tank bands, so should be OK for up to 6kg/14lbs -- but that's a ridiculous amount!

Give us a clue!

Also I assume a Rescue Diver card's sufficient. Bit old now; recent certifications are all technical.

First off, I would not use the Jet Fins. Your feet and legs will sink and as good as they are in heavy exposure gear they are horrid in little or none.

I believe in ditchable weight so there is that but I doubt you need more than 6 pounds, maybe 8 and with a 3/2 fullsuit 10 to 12. It really depends upon your displacment and body composition and distribution of that compostion :wink:.

I would bring some exposure suit. Either s 3/2 full suit or a shorty or a two piece set you can layer and a rashguard or several.

James

First off, I would not use the Jet Fins. Your feet and legs will sink and as good as they are in heavy exposure gear they are horrid in little or none.
I forgot to mention. I use the Deep 6 Eddy fins as well. Definitely don't want heavy fins for the reasons you mention.
I believe in ditchable weight so there is that but I doubt you need more than 6 pounds, maybe 8 and with a 3/2 fullsuit 10 to 12. It really depends upon your displacment and body composition and distribution of that compostion :wink:.
Not a balanced rig? It is so nice to not have to rent weights when shore diving. I'd rather dump all gas from my cylinder in the case my wing failed (though I'd imagine I'd be able to keep some gas in it). Worse case, I'd ditch my scuba kit (though I'd probably take my regs off first, lol) and just float in my five mil and slightly positive in salt water fins or swim in and switch over to my collapsible snorkel if I had to swim to shore while holding up my DSMB.
I would bring some exposure suit. Either s 3/2 full suit or a shorty or a two piece set you can layer and a rashguard or several.

James
A must for a temperature wimp like me.

Not a balanced rig?

Most dive resorts have weights for free. You check them out and are responsible (somewhat) for them. I imagine a few might rent them but never have run into that yet.

Balanced rig? It means nothing anymore as the term has lost it's original meaning and he will not be using a drysuit or heavy exposure gear. It is up to each diver, but for me, I set my weight on my weight integrated otherwise Hog rigs with the weight split between two camband non-ditchable pouches and the rest in quick dump pouches on my harness. I am not going to carry about a heavy steel plate when the destination has all the weights I could ever need. And I believe in being able to get positive on the surface and in a rashguard and swim suit I do not float, I not much more than bone and some titanium parts for fun. Each to their own.

I would also bring a DSMB (safety sausage) and small spool. And Eddy Fins, Quattros or Go-Sports but anything other than chunky Jet Fins.

James

I don't actually own a wetsuit of any description! Am hoping, and I really am hoping, this won't be the last dive in warm water!

The rash vest will be a normal Forth Element one, not neoprene. If I'm cold, I'll just have to fin faster!

Regarding the Jet Fins, they're relatively light at 1.6kg each, not much more than Mares Quattro's. Will put the weight up high if the fins pull my feet down. If it's a dead loss, I'll use the resort's fins.

Will add to The Look with a pair of tech shorts -- yay! -- and stuff the SMB on its 60m spool (why change it!) with the spare mask in one side with the search spool and knife in the other. Have the spare torch already attached to the harness.

I do think I'm overthinking this a bit! Oh, the fun of diving.

Am about to do something completely different; something I've never done before. Am almost nervous about it...

Going to dive in the warm, clear waters of the Caribbean -- St Lucia -- in a couple of weeks. It's so warm that you don't need a wetsuit -- allegedly!

Am bringing my own regs (have even converted it from DIN to yoke/internationale). Have woken the Halcyon Eclipse from its 5 year slumber -- and changed the inflator which was leaking! Have made up a one-piece harness with an aluminium backplate. Have even mounted it on an ali80 cylinder (with a 18/45 mix -- don't have air!). Have even put a little battery on the primary torch, not even going to bring the umbilical. Oh, and booties to fit in the ancient Jet Fins.

The only thing I've no idea about is what weight I should start with! Assuming I'm wearing a rash vest and budgie smugglers, would I expect to sink? I've put three weight pouches on the double tank bands, so should be OK for up to 6kg/14lbs -- but that's a ridiculous amount!

Give us a clue!

Also I assume a Rescue Diver card's sufficient. Bit old now; recent certifications are all technical.

Don’t forget that you can sink when your exhale and ascend when you inhale. Remember to not get the long hose caught in your snorkle :)

Most dive resorts have weights for free. You check them out and are responsible (somewhat) for them. I imagine a few might rent them but never have run into that yet.
I get that. I sometimes shore dive where I just rent a tank (like Maui) and don't have to pay for weights. So when I go to places that do provide weights on the boat for free, I still like to dive the same configuration. Now if you never shore dive and never have to rent weights, then do whatever is most convenient. For me, there is no difference when traveling with my titanium versus SS backplate. Now if they weigh carry on, then there's an issue that motivates me to go light.
Balanced rig? It means nothing anymore as the term has lost it's original meaning and he will not be using a drysuit or heavy exposure gear. It is up to each diver, but for me, I set my weight on my weight integrated otherwise Hog rigs with the weight split between two camband non-ditchable pouches and the rest in quick dump pouches on my harness. I am not going to carry about a heavy steel plate when the destination has all the weights I could ever need. And I believe in being able to get positive on the surface and in a rashguard and swim suit I do not float, I not much more than bone and some titanium parts for fun. Each to their own.
I wouldn't say it means nothing, but the idea would still apply regardless of exposure protection that one can swim to the surface from depth with a failed wing and full cylinders. If you are in a wetsuit, the maximum buoyancy of the wetsuit is at the surface. Dumping all gas will make you more buoyant as I dial in my weight for a safety stop at 500 psi.
I would also bring a DSMB (safety sausage) and small spool. And Eddy Fins, Quattros or Go-Sports but anything other than chunky Jet Fins.

James
A DSMB is always a must have as group separation does happen.

I dove in St. Lucia last October with Scuba St. Lucia and had a blast. The water temps were averaging about 83F. I used a 5mm full suit which is now my go to in warm water suit as the older I get the colder I get. I use an aluminum BP w/STA and add 10# of lead, 3mm 4-6# and Rash guard and swim suit no added weight. I'm 6' 190#

Do a weight check at the resort. They should be happy to help. Happy to give you my method, but most any will work.

Do a weight check at the resort. They should be happy to help. Happy to give you my method, but most any will work.
Didn't I capture that here?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom