Yet another weighting guidance question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Am about to do something completely different; something I've never done before. Am almost nervous about it...

Going to dive in the warm, clear waters of the Caribbean -- St Lucia -- in a couple of weeks. It's so warm that you don't need a wetsuit -- allegedly!

Am bringing my own regs (have even converted it from DIN to yoke/internationale). Have woken the Halcyon Eclipse from its 5 year slumber -- and changed the inflator which was leaking! Have made up a one-piece harness with an aluminium backplate. Have even mounted it on an ali80 cylinder (with a 18/45 mix -- don't have air!). Have even put a little battery on the primary torch, not even going to bring the umbilical. Oh, and booties to fit in the ancient Jet Fins.

The only thing I've no idea about is what weight I should start with! Assuming I'm wearing a rash vest and budgie smugglers, would I expect to sink? I've put three weight pouches on the double tank bands, so should be OK for up to 6kg/14lbs -- but that's a ridiculous amount!

Give us a clue!

Also I assume a Rescue Diver card's sufficient. Bit old now; recent certifications are all technical.
Showing them an open water card and playing dumb seems to work best. Work the bubble check in the pool for trim and buoyancy testing!

Didn't I capture that here?

That's simply a brilliant method, but Dr. Bob Atheridge is the one who invented it. I merely use it! He called it "Weight Titration" and it's the first method that compensates for weighting at the end of the dive. :D

That's simply a brilliant method, but Dr. Bob Atheridge is the one who invented it. I merely use it! He called it "Weight Titration" and it's the first method that compensates for weighting at the end of the dive. :D
oh, I better fix that then!

With all the OP's diving experience, he should know that if he wants a reasonable guestimate of his weighting requirements, then he must specify his height, weight and general body composition.

Once that is defined, then reasonably good guesses can be made. All the other crap about fins etc. are relatively irrelevant. A good, experienced DM, would look him up and down and hand him a weightbelt that is correct within 3-4 lbs, 95% of the time.

and hand him a weightbelt that is correct within 3-4 lbs, 95% of the time.
They never get mine even close. Best to do a weight check. It's less than five minutes and easy enough to do.

Regarding the Jet Fins, they're relatively light at 1.6kg each, not much more than Mares Quattro's. Will put the weight up high if the fins pull my feet down. If it's a dead loss, I'll use the resort's fins.
I own a store full of Jet Fins, well, all size XL :wink:. Yeah, whatever, Quattros are much lighter in the water and Eddy Fins lighter yet and Go-Fins more so. The concern, and I realize and appreciate that you are an expert diver, but heavy fins dragging on the reef is my concern. Sure, bend your knees, frog kick away, but the negative Jets will just shove your knees and hips down. Sure you can compensate but they are still not ideal.

I get cold really easy, you more likely have some tolerance to cold. A neoprene vest at least! You might catch a chill :wink:.

Yeah, you are overthinking it. Compared to your usual diving this is cake diving, resort diving with fru-fru drinks served after, lol.

James

With all the OP's diving experience, he should know that if he wants a reasonable guestimate of his weighting requirements, then he must specify his height, weight and general body composition.

Once that is defined, then reasonably good guesses can be made. All the other crap about fins etc. are relatively irrelevant. A good, experienced DM, would look him up and down and hand him a weightbelt that is correct within 3-4 lbs, 95% of the time.
I’ll be alright. Had a good starting point recommended and will have the pool session and the first couple of dives to finesse the buoyancy and trim.

Hopefully they’ll be some interesting fauna and flora to enjoy whilst the DiveMasters tend their flock.

Now, should I pack a "quacker" to annoy everyone? Maybe a rattle? For some reason I found them in my box of useless crap I’ve never used.

On my one tropical trip in my Henderson "body suit" (basically just protection from stinging things) I used 10 0r 12 pounds (can't recall which). Dived to 80 feet or shallower and this was fine.

Interestingly, a rig with AL plate and AL tank is pretty close to neutral. (+3.5 lb tank -1.5 lb BP/W & hardware -2 lb regulator).

This leaves the wetsuit (doesn't apply in this case) and salt adjustment (2.4% your dry weight) as the major contributors to needing lead. Another 0-2 either way from that for BMI considerations. A lb less for negative jet fins, and you're close enough to just go dive. Fine tune at the safety stop.

Hope you have a great time!

Back
Top Bottom