Yesterday at Wetherell

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saw 2 tropicals (juvenile spotfin butterflies?) 9/2 and 1 9/3, and some unidentified fish below I have not seen this year. Not many tropicals but a few still there. This is my first year diving New England, absolutely love diving here. Speaking of the tropical storm, how long does it take to clear out the viz after a nice viz blender tropical storm/hurricane passes through Rhode Island waters?

CRW_0938.jpg

CRW_06101.jpg

CRW_0938_CRW.jpg

Unidentified fish, what is this?

CRW_0950.jpg

Yeah it looks like there's still a large collecting trip planned for Sunday. I wish them the best of luck. The visibility has got to suck so close after the storm though they aren't diving for them. But still. Such a shame there was so few this year.

Looks like a large mouth bass to me. I wiish they would pass a law banning tropical collecting here in the north, and follow it up with a good $500 fine to drive the point home. Everyone deserves to see them, not just greedy collectors that hoard them for themselves.

Well Dave as a personal freind , originator of the post, and one I have dove with a few times before, I agree as you really wanted to see some Sunday. Im not against someone going in with a slurp gun or small aqaurium net and hand picking them, but to drag a sein net and sweep the entire shallows of the coves is going to far IMO. Thats what NE Aquarium was telling me.

Not to mention there is bycatch from seining that also gets stressed and ends up as morts.

NE Aquarium will use a form of small net but will set up touch tanks for all to see, interact with, experience and share them with the community rather than being off to the pet store for cash. They will educate groups of children on the fish. They will also provide quite a bit of other activities and a picnic free of charge.

NE Aquarium usually does this also late in the year just as the water starts to get too cold for the fish.

Last edited:
Well Dave I agree as you really wanted to see some Sunday. Im not against someone going in with a slurp gun or small aqaurium net and hand picking them, but to drag a sein net and sweep the entire shallows of the coves is going to far IMO. Thats what NE Aquarium was telling me.

Not to mention there is bycatch from seining that also gets stressed and ends up as morts.

NE Aquarium will use a form of small net but will set up touch tanks for all to see, interact with, experience and share them with the community rather than being off to the pet store for cash. They will educate groups of children on the fish. They will also provide quite a bit of other activities and a picnic free of charge.

NE Aquarium usually does this also late in the year just as the water starts to get too cold for the fish.

What happened? I thought you were done with this tangent? You certainly didn't take me up on continuing via PM but you posted back here?

So which way is it? First your problem was people collecting and selling the fish for profit. Then you seemed to change and said it was people collecting at all because then you didn't get to see any. Now it's the way people collect? Funny you won't address any of the points I called you out on but as soon as someone posts in your favor you're eager to jump back on the bandwagon.

LOL yeah a law banning the removal of invasive species because people are greedy. That sounds about as reasonable as a law banning leaving them because greedy people want to see them when they dive.

You're right, seining fish harms bycatch. However stuffing them into a clear box and letting all sorts of people reach in and start touching is soothing for these animals. It's like a day at the fish spa. Dozens of masseuses melting away all the animals anxiety and then they get released fresh and ready to tackle a new day! :shakehead: You sure have an odd way of looking at things.

Oh yeah, and after that dues post you have the nerve to call ME a troll? Oh wait, that's right, he posted in your favor, no way he can be a troll. Just those who don't agree with you.

Yep, very odd indeed. LOL.

Can't be 100% sure from the photo but I believe it is a juvenile northern sennet. It is a species of barracuda.

Sphyraena borealis, Northern sennet:

100% positive ID - Northern Sennet, but I don't think Juvenile, That's aboutg as large as I have ever seen them....in the late season we jig them up with sabiki rigs for fluke bait - 'course, that season is done now...so odd to have the fluke shut down for rec fishing...wonder if it'''s closed for draggers too?

Back
Top Bottom