Yesterday at Wetherell

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow - I stand corrected - See that? We learn something new every day! The Northern Sennet has a max recorded size of 46 cm or just over 18" - I never would have thought it - I've never seen them much over 7 or 8 inches long!

Wow nice pictures and thanks for sharing and adding to the post. I saw something similar last week and got one blurry picture and some video. Never thought it could be something unique.

Attachments

• sonnet.jpg
    sonnet.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 51
Oh yeah, and after that dues post you have the nerve to call ME a troll? Oh wait, that's right, he posted in your favor, no way he can be a troll. Just those who don't agree with you.

Yep, very odd indeed. LOL.

Being new to diving, I would like the opertunity to see fish like this. Experienced divers, like you, go in and suck up all the fish before others like me get in to see them. Sometimes the water is too rough for me to go in, and thats where collectors like you take advantage and clean out the stocks. How can they be invasive when they LIVE in the ocean? Thier just like other animals, when they are hunted, they quit coming to the same place anymore. This is probably the reason we don't see as many now. Nice work.

Being new to diving, I would like the opertunity to see fish like this. Experienced divers, like you, go in and suck up all the fish before others like me get in to see them. Sometimes the water is too rough for me to go in, and thats where collectors like you take advantage and clean out the stocks. How can they be invasive when they LIVE in the ocean? Thier just like other animals, when they are hunted, they quit coming to the same place anymore. This is probably the reason we don't see as many now. Nice work.

LOL. First, I take half a dozen a year at MOST. This year I took one. You can try and blame me for the plight of the disappearing tropicals all you want but the fact remains there are probably THOUSANDS in the area just up here. Nevermind all over the north east or the east coast. I've never eaten lobster before. WAAAAAAAHHHHH everyone keeps catching them or eating them before I have one! Waaaaahhhhhh. LOL come on!

How can they be invasive when they live in the ocean? I'm sure you didn't quite think they question through when you typed it out. They're invasive because they are NON NATIVE. Lionfish live in the ocean, but not in the ocean off the coast of the carolinas. Snakefish live in freshwater, but not in the rivers and lakes of Maryland. They don't belong here because it's not their natural habitat. Rarely does an ecosystem fare well without setbacks after non native species are introduced.

As far as being hunted and no longer coming around. They're not exactly on some pleasure tour of the eastern seaboard looking for a nice quiet neighborhood to live out the rest of their days. They are forced here by the Gulf Stream currents. I assure you, if they had the choice on where to go, the north east would not be it.

I understand you'd like the opportunity to see the fish. If you went out and dove in the right time of year and area you would certainly see them. However I think everyone is under the impression that they are somehow owed an opportunity. That's not so. The early bird gets the worm. I would love to win a car in the charity raffle this week, but damnit, all those other greedy selfish bastards keep buying tickets and ruin my chances of getting my stub pulled. Should I call them names? Do they owe me a chance? I would love to be a billionaire in the industry which I own my side business. But dag nabbit other people across the nation keep opening up stores and compete with me for that green dollar. Damn capitalism! I want it all for MEEEEEEEEE.

Don't tell me I'm taking advantage of you by going into water you won't dive in to take all the tropicals out from under your nose. That claim is absolutely absurd. Do you also curse the rotation of the earth for bringing nightfall before you could finish enjoying the daylight? That's silly.

If you want to see the fish, get in the water and go see the fish. Don't whine and blame others for the fact that you saw none. There's no way on this green earth people could possibly be harvesting every last tropical that strays up here before they get killed off.

OK I'm spilling my beans; this is what irks me.

Every weekend this week I looked at a certain ledge and there was the same 2 spotfins. They were a pleasure to see and show new divers like Dbg40. Then I went last weekend and they were gone. Probably to some greedy tropical fish floosie who had no sense to leave them alone for others to see.

Sorry Dbg40 for dragging you out there with a promiss to see them. Next year, we'll get there earlier. At least I was able to show Brandnew a tropical thats probably slurpped by some sleezy slurpper up by now.

The ocean is for all fish to go were ever they want. There should be no lines drawn to say what fish belongs were.

Then if they die, how could they be invasive? You are just trying to justify you're taking the tropical fish for your personal enjoyment, excluding people like me from getting to see them. I can't allways find a buddy to go with, and was taught never to solo dive for safety reasons. Having seen the conditions in the cove there I can understand why. There have been times when the waves were actually whitecaps in BOTH coves. I have also seen divers in the water in those conditions, (which is unsafe in my opinion) probably taking the fish. If you think It's fair, then you should have to buy a license, just like you do for lobsters, restricting how many tropicals you can remove. Something needs to be done to protect them from what is no more than poaching!

OK I'm spilling my beans; this is what irks me.

Every weekend this week I looked at a certain ledge and there was the same 2 spotfins. They were a pleasure to see and show new divers like Dbg40. Then I went last weekend and they were gone. Probably to some greedy tropical fish floosie who had no sense to leave them alone for others to see.

Sorry Dbg40 for dragging you out there with a promiss to see them. Next year, we'll get there earlier. At least I was able to show Brandnew a tropical thats probably slurpped by some sleezy slurpper up by now.

The ocean is for all fish to go were ever they want. There should be no lines drawn to say what fish belongs were.

It's apparent you're a very judgemental person thus far, at least IME but, would you be able to take a step back and take an objective look at things? Do you think it's a possibility, maybe, PERHAPS, they fell victim to something that felt their hunger was more compelling than your need to see them again? They stick out like a sore thumb you know. All the more ready to fall prey to those with bigger wills. Or even that they just moved elsewhere? They are fish afterall. Who would have thought those fins come in so handy when the need to move through the water comes into play. They are mobile creatures. I'm sure it's just easier to go ahead and blame others right away without really knowing what happened because it suits your personality more.

Now come on, with the freaking names. Is that really the only way you know how to conduct yourself? You gotta be kidding me. Just a few posts before this you said your beef was them being netted out by seining and those with a slurp gun were fine. But now suddenly anyone with a slurp gun is sleezy. Thank goodness I don't own one. I know how much your opinion is valued in this big wide world!

Hey are you calling me a namecaller :rofl3: ? There should be a 2 week waiting period before someone is allowed to possess a slurp-gun just in case that person changes his or her mind about sucking up all the tropicals and ruining things for others.

Im glad you don't own a slurp gun and feel you did well only to take one fish this year. At least you left some for others. I think one tropical fish per dive is a good quota.

Then if they die, how could they be invasive? You are just trying to justify you're taking the tropical fish for your personal enjoyment, excluding people like me from getting to see them. I can't allways find a buddy to go with, and was taught never to solo dive for safety reasons. Having seen the conditions in the cove there I can understand why. There have been times when the waves were actually whitecaps in BOTH coves. I have also seen divers in the water in those conditions, (which is unsafe in my opinion) probably taking the fish. If you think It's fair, then you should have to buy a license, just like you do for lobsters, restricting how many tropicals you can remove. Something needs to be done to protect them from what is no more than poaching!

LOL I don't have to justify anything. What I am doing is no more morally wrong than your insisting they have to left alone just so you could see them. (Is this a communist board by the way? j/k lol).

How is taking tropical fish which do not belong in this habitat and will die come winter not fair? When they come with me they live much longer than they do out there. Most species even have an excellent chance at living out their full nautral lifespans. Your way means they will die in a few weeks. What exactly is fair to the fish doing things your way? I keep asking questions but everyone seems to know they've been pegged and refuses to answer and instead come up with more assanine comments.

What exactly do they need protection from? Poaching? LOL now it just looks like you're grasping for anything to hang from! How are they being poached?

Just because they die off doesn't mean they aren't invasive. While they are here they are competing with local stocks for the same foods. I'm sure you're also aware of a small thing called evolution?? You know, where things adapt to better suit themselves to thrive under conditions they currently live under? Lionfish are tropical animals, however they are slowly creeping up the eastern seaboard in cooler waters and establishing permanent breeding populations. Not just seasonal anymore.

Going by the PM's I'm getting supporting what I am saying I thinks it's fair to say many people see just how ridiculous most of one side of this arguement is. I think it's a crying shame though that for some reason they are reluctant to post here for fear of persectution of some sort. Scuba, I've invited you to take this conversation further to PM. You even agreed not to take the thread any further of course. But you don't respond to my messages and instead continue to bait me here. I think that too speaks volumes.

Hey are you calling me a namecaller :rofl3: ? Im glad you don't own a slurp gun and feel you did well only to take one fish this year. At least you left some for others.

Well aren't you the one calling names? What do we have so far? Sleezy, greedy, and troll right?

LOL was that post supposed to make sense?

Go figure you didn't bother to address any of the issues brought up. :shakehead: I'm beginning to think you just like see your words in type! :no:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom