Yelled at for MOF

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
First, let me say that I believe the antagonist (I being the protagonist) in the following story reads SB, so I am writing it aware that he might read it. But, my purpose is not to call him out. We talked after it was all over and cleared the air and are, I think, "good". MOF is a subject that has inspired many posts here on SB and is clearly somewhat contentious. So, I want to share my story of what happened to me, and what COULD happen to you, as a result of not belonging to the School Of MOF Means You're Going To Die.

Second, if you don't already know, MOF means Mask On Forehead. Some scuba instructors teach that you should never put your mask up on your forehead because that is a sign of distress.

Onward....

This past weekend, I got in a local pool with a buddy of mine to practice some tech sidemount skills. He arranged for us to get in a pool that I had not been to before, with a shop that I have never been to before. As I learned while there, the shop was running an OW class with half a dozen or so students and a Rescue class with some smaller number of students, plus (I believe) a refresher for a couple of other divers. We were all sharing the deep end of this pool.

My buddy had made most of the arrangements for us to be there. I just had to call a few days before, give them my credit card for the $25 fee to get in, and email them scans of a signed liability waiver and of my C card. When I got there, my buddy was already there and had the lay of the land. I only talked to him and nobody from the shop really talked to me. Nobody asked me my name or introduced themselves. When the waterobics class before us got out and the deep end was empty, I asked my buddy and he said we were clear to splash, so I did. Other folks were following suit shortly after.

We'd been in for a while and everyone was in and actually doing a reasonable job of staying out of each other's way. At least, they were doing a good job staying out of our way and I HOPE we were staying out of their way, too. I was trying, anyway.

We got to a point where we wanted to chat, so we made an ascent and were hanging on the side of the pool. I was holding onto the side with my left hand, facing him. The OW class was a ways away behind him. He was holding on with his right hand, facing me. The Rescue class was doing something not too far behind me.

As we were talking, I head a voice yell in the distance. This natatorium was big and there were a lot of swimmers with coaches and whatnot in the rest of the pool area outside of the deep end that we were using. It was loud in there. I didn't react to the first yell I heard. Then I heard another yell and it was closer/louder. I looked around to see what was going on and I see a diver in the water swimming at full speed in my general direction. It was he that was yelling and yelled again. This time I realized he was coming towards me and yelling at me.

He yelled, "SIR, ARE YOU IN DISTRESS?"

I said back loudly, so he could hear, but not yelling, "no."

He continued to swim towards me. Now about 10' away. Still yelling, "YOUR MASK ON YOUR FOREHEAD MEANS YOU ARE IN DISTRESS!"

My first thought was that this was one of the students from the Rescue class and he has mistaken me for someone who is playing a part in a rescue scenario. A similar thing happened to me back when I was a Rescue student - except in that case, it was I who mistook one of the instructors. I mistakenly thought he was pretending to be non-responsive and then combative and I "rescued" him despite what turned out to be his actual, real attempts to get me to stop. His non-responsive behavior was simply him not realizing that I was trying to assess him and staring blankly back at my hand signals because he didn't realize what I was doing. But I digress...

I said back, again, loudly but not yelling, "no. It does not." I really did not care to get roped into playing along with a rescue scenario. I had things I wanted to get accomplished while we had the pool time and playing games was not one of them.

He has now swum close enough and stops and yells at me again. Seriously. Yelling. "AS AN INSTRUCTOR IN CHARGE OF THIS POOL, I'M TELLING YOU THAT YOUR MASK ON YOUR FOREHEAD MEANS YOUR ARE IN DISTRESS!!"

Oh. You're an instructor for the shop that has the pool right now? Well, why didn't you say so? I didn't say that. As I was taking my mask off my head, I just said, "Oh. No problem. It won't happen again. Your pool, your rules."

At the shop where I am currently a DM, we don't teach people that they can't put their mask on their forehead. We do tell them that some people may see that as a possible sign that they are in distress, so they should be aware of that. We also teach people (in the Rescue class) to look for that as a possible sign of distress in other divers. But, I have personally seen people lose their mask to the bottom of the quarry because they turned it around backwards then, as they swam on their back towards the shore, they didn't notice that their mask got knocked off by their 1st stage. So, I wouldn't ever tell someone NEVER put your mask on your forehead. I would be more inclined to tell people to be aware of how things can be interpreted, but do what works. And if you see someone with MOF, use your best judgment and common sense to determine if the MOF means they are in distress or not. Not everyone is trained the same way, when it comes to MOF, so don't assume anyone else has the same training as you.

If you are of the same mind as I am, please allow yourself to learn from my mistake. Otherwise, you could get yelled at by someone who sees a perfectly calm diver, hanging out and talking on the surface, as a diver in distress, because you have your mask on your forehead. Don't be like my former Rescue instructor and get yourself "rescued" (or even just yelled at) by someone who has misinterpreted your actions. :D

Last edited:
the crazy thing is I cant for the life of me imagine a stressed diver in need of assistance having the wherewithal to carefully place his mask on his forehead and look around to see if anyone notices it!

the crazy thing is I cant for the life of me imagine a stressed diver in need of assistance having the wherewithal to carefully place his mask on his forehead and look around to see if anyone notices it!

I'm willing to grant anyone that a panicked diver might try to rip their mask off, or accidentally knock it, and POSSIBLY end up with it just up on their forehead instead of fully off. As such, I have no problem telling someone to take MOF as a POSSIBLE sign of distress.

I think that the instructor's behavior is ridiculous and borders on bullying. I don't think what he was doing contributes to safety. The MOF thing has clearly gotten out of hand.

Removing gear when it should be left in place is widely (and correctly) seen as one of many possible indicators of distress or at least poor coping with the situation at hand. Since most people who are not trained otherwise put their mask on their forehead when removing it, we have this trope. I've been taught that it is supposed to be better to put it under your chin to reduce the risk of loss, but the problem for me is I have a regulator there and it isn't comfortable for both of them to be there at once. Even if I'm snorkeling, it isn't comfortable for me for my mask to be under my chin. As a result, I put it on my forehead when I need to.

I would be surprised to learn that any agency has standards that address where divers must place their masks when they are not needed.

I hate wearing my mask full stop nothing wrong with my mask it fits well does not leak and is perfectly fine just do not like not being able to breath from my nose. After I giant stride in the first thing I do remove my mask and either place on my forehead or put on my chest strap until I am ready to descent. And the first thing I do after breaking surface is to inflatable bcd and remove mask onto forehead.

Yes this could be seen as a sign of distress but at the same time I am normally talking or laughing and giving the ok back to the shore or boat

I think that the instructor's behavior is ridiculous and borders on bullying. I don't think what he was doing contributes to safety. The MOF thing has clearly gotten out of hand.

Agree - he's a bully who wants to impose his will using his 'authority' to do so -id want to shove my mask down his throat!

Ive had a couple of encounters like that from instructors who talk to you like your 12 years old and theyre your parents telling you off. Theres an appropriate way to reprimand and this isn't it!

I tackled a guy with his sunglasses on his forehead and proceeded to give him CPR because he HAD to be in distress.

I had a captain on a boat tell me I owed him a six pack because my mask was on my forehead. I told him that no, he owed me a case for believing in such a fairy tale. I never dove with that outfit again.

The instructor could've just told his students that (he felt) what you were doing was wrong. Hmmm...Don't they teach common sense and people skills in the Instructor course??? I wouldn't know, never took it. But as a former school teacher yes, I agree it was unnecessary bullying to show off.
I always keep my mask on my face at least until I can walk and/or see the bottom to grab it should it fall off. Sometimes I take it off and hold it when walking out over slippery rocks. I never put it around the back of my head--who needs a broken mask strap while geared up starting a dive (I've had that a time or two just adjusting it). I used to keep it on my forehead when walking in over slippery areas--you get better vision without a mask on. I stopped that a while back as it was more of a hassle to get it sealed properly with thick gloves on while in the water. Now I just put it on at the car and go a bit slower.
Thanks for the thread--such silliness.
"If I see you with your mask on your forehead in this course you owe me a beer". How many times have I heard that and where did it start? I always though it was particularly odd coming from a young instructor who wasn't around when that thing started. No one ever paid the beer.

Back
Top Bottom