Xs Altair Octopus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin Floyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
does anyone have any experience with this octo? I saw it the other day and am thinking about using this as my octo when I build me reg rig.

Newbies either seem to think an [Air2] or a really small octo are great ideas. I don't know if they are sold that idea from a dive shop or they come up with it themselves for 'streamlining'.
If you look at the kit of experienced divers you will seldom see either. Both are a compromise, and outside of not having junk dangling around, streamlining with scuba gear is kind of a lost cause. Air2 or small octo aren't going to make a whit of difference.

It's a knockoff of the Aqualung ABS compact octo.
These designs have only two things going for them: size, and they can be used upside down (you can pass either way to buddy).
They require regular tuning to avoid being pigs.
It depends on your philosophy. If you want to give a panicked buddy a reg as good as the one you're breathing, this isn't it.
If you need an octo because the rules "require it", and don't want to spend much, it's a possibility. If you absolutely require tiny size and will keep it tuned, it's a reasonable choice.

Don't worry @Kevin Floyd . SB can be a little rough on you. Don't take it personally - we all have strong opinions. Keep posting, and welcome to SB! :)

Last edited:
People buy them because the shop sells them as a package in a set of regs or because they need the cheapest octopus to keep their budget.

I have one, carry it with my spare reg set and have an air 2 (atomic type) because that’s what I like, not much experience I guess.

It's a knockoff of the Aqualung ABS compact octo.
These designs have only two things going for them: size, and they can be used upside down (you can pass either way to buddy).
They require regular tuning to avoid being pigs.
It depends on your philosophy. If you want to give a panicked buddy a reg as good as the one you're breathing, this isn't it.
If you need an octo because the rules "require it", and don't want to spend much, it's a possibility. If you absolutely require tiny size and will keep it tuned, it's a reasonable choice.

Don't worry @Kevin Floyd . SB can be a little rough on you. Don't take it personally - we all have strong opinions. Keep posting, and welcome to SB! :)
For sure, no worries.

@Kevin Floyd
what regs are you looking at, and why are you looking at that octo?
I am looking at Mares abyss 22, Atomic z3 or St1 (depending on bank account balance at time of purchase), Scubapro MK25 or Deep 6 signature.
I just saw this octo on the last dive boat I was on and thought the design was interesting. It was the first time I have seen a design like this one

I have one, carry it with my spare reg set and have an air 2 (atomic type) because that’s what I like, not much experience I guess.

If you are happy with your gear then don't listen to the self-appointed Scubaboard experts. There is nothing wrong with an Air 2. It was designed so you donated your primary second stage (where have I heard that before?) and you switch to the air 2 and ascend to the surface. Recreational diving does not involve decompression or overhead environments so there is no need for a long hose or a high performance regulator. I know the Atomic integrated safe second is supposedly as good as their regular second stages.

A buddy of mine has an AL ABS octo on his travel rig and breathing wise it is terrible. Although it could be as @rsingler said a tuning issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom