Xeo vs Q

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sffrenchman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am a rec diver with close to 300 dives and do most of my diving in the waters of Northern California. I am looking at a wrist-mounted computer with an OLED display due to difficulties reading my current computers (Oceanic VT3 and Nitek Trio) underwater despite a prescription mask. I also plan to start technical training in about 6 months. In considering purchasing a new computer, I am not only thinking about my current use (Nitrox, no deco diving) but also future use (deco diving first and trimix later). I eliminated the Liquidvision X1 due to cost but also because it seems more geared toward the more experienced technical divers. I am left with the Liquidvision Xeo and the Nitek Q. One thing that I like about the Nitek Q is that one can get the basic Nitrox computer and upgrade to Trimix (and other features) at a later time as training progresses, thereby only spending the extra money when needed and not upfront. What I like about the Xeo is the display which seems to be very easy to read for someone with my vision issues, in addition to Liquidvision reputation for quality.

Any thoughts from current users of these computers (pros and cons) as well as other suggestions would be very much appreciated to inform my decision making process.

Thanks,

Christophe

skip both get a shearwater, if you are looking for something to use for technical later, go read some of the threads over at thedecostop about the various computers.

Was considering the Xeo and hadn't heard about this issue - how bad is it and do you know why?

I hear both the Xen and Xeo expend batteries about every 20 dives on average. Batteries are only $10 though, or .50 per dive. More annoying for some than others. Bright screen is the culprit...

If you're looking at the Q as a lower cost option so that you can wait until you get into trimix to upgrade, look again - as a nitrox computer it is only two gas. If you end up doing any meaningful amount of deep diving you'll do dives with more than one deco gas in no time.

I'd also repeat the recommendation from above that you take a look at the shearwater. I've loved mine and I just can't say enough good things about it.

As a side note I have similar vision issues as I have to use reading glasses, and the x1 screen while beautiful is just too small for me.

Interesting, I need reading glasses, but I can read an X1 screen underwater without trouble.

I hear both the Xen and Xeo expend batteries about every 20 dives on average. Batteries are only $10 though, or .50 per dive. More annoying for some than others. Bright screen is the culprit...

Interesting that the Xeo and Xen kill batteries but the X1, with the same bright screen, does not? Wonder why?

The colors take more power.

plus the x1 is rechargeable - i think the batteries in the xen & xeo are 'regular'.

another vote to consider the shearwater!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom