xDeep BLACK - bottom timer / computer features. Sold beginning Friday, July 26th !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's such a shame, but the lack of communication and the never ending "soon" release date are killing this product. If the answer to when the product will be launched remains "soon", and it has been so for over a year, people will get fed up eventually, buying from the competition.

Yes, at one point I was looking at the Lynx but with the repeated push back dates I eventually gave up and went with another manufacturer.

Ended up going with the Petrel. Really enjoy not having to push buttons for a backlight,e tc.

Not sure what this has to offer over a Petrel at this point other than delays, uncertainity, and a possibly lower entry price. I sure as hell get full gas capability and a BT function with the Petrel.

I started out thinking rechargables were great, but now I don't think I'd choose the headaches and extra cost of them over the ease of 'find any AA battery, toss it in, good to go'.

Not sure what this has to offer over a Petrel at this point other than delays, uncertainity, and a possibly lower entry price. I sure as hell get full gas capability and a BT function with the Petrel.
With a price gap of about 300 euros between the two (if they were fully upgraded, that is) where I live, I'd say it's hardly a fair comparison. Continuing along that line: not everybody will need full trimix capabilities, increasing the gap even more. I wouldn't say these are directly competing products, but two devices each with their own market. Where the Black with EANx firmware would a great computer for those up to the level of Deco Procedures, the Petrel only starts becoming interesting beyond that point.

Ofcourse, I've taken a look at both, but alas the price you guys pay in the US is the same price as we in Europe pay: $950 becomes €950 here, a hefty $300 difference. Even if I were to get the value added tax back (21% of the 950, you can get this returned here if you own a company), that'd still leave me with a $100 dollar difference when compared to the price it's sold for in the US. For the limited amount of TMX dives I do per year, that's just not a price I can explain to myself. With the EANx upgrade, on the other hand, the computer would cost me €370 ($490), and offer me the feature set that would support me at a price that seems reasonable for the dives I do, with the option to buy an upgrade if my trimix diving increases.

I know the Petrel is a great computer, and if I were to make different dives I'd get one in a heart beat, but don't go claiming it's the one and only go-to computer out there, because that's simply not true.

I am also in deep thoughts of asking a refund from the deepx dealer i paid a month ago and buy something else .The whole situation is so unprofessional from deepx

With a price gap of about 300 euros between the two (if they were fully upgraded, that is) where I live, I'd say it's hardly a fair comparison. Continuing along that line: not everybody will need full trimix capabilities, increasing the gap even more. I wouldn't say these are directly competing products, but two devices each with their own market. Where the Black with EANx firmware would a great computer for those up to the level of Deco Procedures, the Petrel only starts becoming interesting beyond that point.

Ofcourse, I've taken a look at both, but alas the price you guys pay in the US is the same price as we in Europe pay: $950 becomes €950 here, a hefty $300 difference. Even if I were to get the value added tax back (21% of the 950, you can get this returned here if you own a company), that'd still leave me with a $100 dollar difference when compared to the price it's sold for in the US. For the limited amount of TMX dives I do per year, that's just not a price I can explain to myself. With the EANx upgrade, on the other hand, the computer would cost me €370 ($490), and offer me the feature set that would support me at a price that seems reasonable for the dives I do, with the option to buy an upgrade if my trimix diving increases.

I know the Petrel is a great computer, and if I were to make different dives I'd get one in a heart beat, but don't go claiming it's the one and only go-to computer out there, because that's simply not true.

Some of us are looking at a comparison other than just the pricing factors. Communication, reviews, solid time tables, etc. will factor in for many. Many of us have seen where the marketing/sales sides of many businesses promise more than what the mfg/technical side can deliver. This seems to be such a case. Definitely a shame since this could have opened up the company to new custoemers who have never made a purchase from them before.

Some of us are looking at a comparison other than just the pricing factors. Communication, reviews, solid time tables, etc. will factor in for many. Many of us have seen where the marketing/sales sides of many businesses promise more than what the mfg/technical side can deliver. This seems to be such a case. Definitely a shame since this could have opened up the company to new custoemers who have never made a purchase from them before.
Being in a business where marketing promises before technical can deliver, this way of working is not uncommon to me.

My post may partly have been frustration with the situation (the company and the product). Personally, I'm not in the market for a full fledged technical computer right now, but would like something more advanced than the average mid-range computer. Something like the Black would've been the perfect middle ground. If the situation would've been different, I'd have gone fully rec (Galileo Sol or the likes), or fully tech (Petrel/Predator).

I'm not in the market for a full fledged technical computer right now, but would like something more advanced than the average mid-range computer. Something like the Black would've been the perfect middle ground. If the situation would've been different, I'd have gone fully rec (Galileo Sol or the likes), or fully tech (Petrel/Predator).

Same boat, but I guess I'm a little more patient. I'm looking for a BT to back up my cobra 3 and then to eventually upgrade to the EANx. I think it'll be worth the wait, and my cobra is more than enough to carry me until the release.

Same boat, but I guess I'm a little more patient. I'm looking for a BT to back up my cobra 3 and then to eventually upgrade to the EANx. I think it'll be worth the wait, and my cobra is more than enough to carry me until the release.

And its the time factor that seems to be key for many. Some can wait for release, some are in the market for something soon and many others are probably waiting for reviews and customer feedback to potential include issues and how xdeep handles them.

Oh, absolutely! Understandably, I'm sure quite a few folks are trying to get their late season dives in (already getting cold here), and are excited about a new toy. I know I am! I'm not even worried about being one of the first. The price point is fair if the product performs. If it's a complete failure (probably wont be after late reviews and continued testing from mfg), I have confidence that xdeep will back it up.

I'm looking forward to ordering, and purchasing the upgrade next season! In fact, I suppose I should find a vendor that will take a preorder and go ahead and put my name on the list. It'll get here when it gets here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom