x650

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I´m looking into buying the Scubapro x650, so it would be nice to hear if anyone else have had actual diving experience with that reg.?

Has anyone experienced the same problem with the reg as "Hamburger" describes?

-Karsten-

If you got your 650 in November - it was probably from the first run where they had a problem. The reg had an issue where one part inside was not machined right, and it left a burr on the piece of metal that was inside a nylon bushing. At first they breathe great... but after 20 dives or so, the burr starts wearing on the nylon and the reg starts getting worse and worse.

They found out about this very quickly - and we had already sold a few - and ScubaPro sent me some titanium SK25/X600 for the customers to use until they had the problem fixed. A month or so later - we got the new ones, and these just keep on breathing as good after 50 dives, as on the first... and should be that way for 1000's...

So I wouldn't avoid the reg... I'd just make sure I'm getting current stock. Not to go into the whole grey market thing... but you'll probably never guess who sold a bunch and isn't an authorized dealer, and doesn't have ScubaPro warranty cards so the customer doesn't find out there's a problem...

I bought it after the first recall.

I have already returned it and rather than repair it they replaced it for another new one.

Same problems.

Breathes good for one dive.

Not a good advert for ScubaPro.

Anybody else had the same problems?

Cheers

I had the same "sucking a golf ball through a garden hose" cracking problem just this weekend during some training dives on my X650 from new stock purchased in May. I had only used it on 5 dives during that period. It came on gradually over those dives (worked great the first day) until suddenly it was just no longer usable without great breathing fatigue. I can't say I felt in any danger but it just felt cheap and flimsy especially when the assist knob finally had no effect. Fortunately, my orignal regulator had moved to my pony bottle so I had a spare I could swap out and complete my dives.

The Scubapro technician at the dealer had mentioned a similar thing had happend to him and he had seen it in others. I asked him if there were any adjustments he could do and he said no, he doesn't try to fix them anymore (fix didn't work), he just sends them back to Scubapro.

So, I don't quite agree that there is no longer a current problem unless my dealer (an active Scubapro dealer who moves a lot of product) got sent old stock somehow. And since they were not particularly shocked to get the warranty return I think this is still an ongoing problem.

undefined
The Hamburger:
I know this is a fairly old thread , but the right kind of terms are being used here for my question.

I bought the MK25/S650 in Nov. 03 on my first dive (and the reason I bought it) it had a very low cracking preasure and was about the easiest smoothest breathing reg I had ever seen. on the second dive the cracking preasure started to increase and increase until unless you can easily suck a golf ball through 10' Garden Hose you would have thought that the 2nd stage had failed completely (no problem with the Octo)

I took it back to the shop who informed me that they would have to send it off to their head office to have it "adjusted" a new unit came back so I was quite happy with the service.

Since then the cracking preasure on the new unit has increased since the first few dives but has got no where near the golf ball in the hose situation.

I have talked to the guy whose one I tried before I bought mine and another friend who bought one at the same time and found that they had both experienced near indentical symptoms.

We all agreed (on a liveaboard in Burma last week, which was great) that we no longer trust this reg.

Any ideas?

By the way any body want to buy an almost new MK25/S650 + Octo , would part exchg for APEKS ;-)

Cheers

Hi,
Just bought an x650 and had the identical problem with it. I complained and returned the reg. I now have an apeks stx 200
I WAS JUST INFORMED BY MY DIVE SHOP THAT SCUBAPRO HAS JUST TOLD THEM TO REMOVE ALL THE X650 FROM THE
SHELVES, AND RETURN THEM. THIS IS A RECALL.
I suspect that you will have a refund/exchange due to you.
Good Luck,
Jupiter

Jupiter:
undefined

Hi,
Just bought an x650 and had the identical problem with it. I complained and returned the reg. I now have an apeks stx 200
I WAS JUST INFORMED BY MY DIVE SHOP THAT SCUBAPRO HAS JUST TOLD THEM TO REMOVE ALL THE X650 FROM THE
SHELVES, AND RETURN THEM. THIS IS A RECALL.
I suspect that you will have a refund/exchange due to you.
Good Luck,
Jupiter

I was at my LDS today an ordered a x650 I asked about a recall and was told there wasn't one.

Well...I have heard an interesting mix of great comments and some not so great but (I suspect) dated things on the X650 so in the interest of being more informed and being a better tech, I just ordered one from Scubapro. I also had to burn up some of the extra money from a recent dive job before the wife discovers it and does something wifely like spending it all recarpeting the living room.

Scubapro did not mention a recall and if they are recalled, I am pretty sure they won't ship it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom