x650

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That makes sense. I have not had the opportunity to try mine yet. If something similar happens at least I'll be able to suggest a possible solution to the tech. Thanks!

DA,

I have got to dive two different X650's both of them were prior to the update. One of these breathed very hard and the other was the easiest breathing reg that I have used. When diving the better one I could detect no such freeflow like the one you spoke of out of the exhaust. I was wondering if you have solved any of the issues you had with your 650 or if you guys have sold any more and have gotten input from others diving the post update 650's. I was really looking forward to getting one of these but have lost quite a bit of confidence in them.

Thanks

Gillty

I tried my new version X650 and it's factory set cracking pressure was 1.5" and it performed about like that. I am getting it adjusted down a little (short of freeflow zone). Additionally, it sputters (wet breathes) now when turning head to side when horizontal. And to make it worse the MK25 first stage had been sitting around for so long unused waiting for the replacement that the Christolube must have dried up and it now whistles. So, I am having it relubed. Not an auspicious beginning but I will give the X650 one more chance before it ends up in the backup/loaner bin.

I have thought about it a bit and I have a couple ideas to address the slight freeflow between breaths issue.

One of them would be to adjust the orifice to increase the play in the lever so that a fair amount of air would need to leak out the exhaust before the diaphragm would contact the lever and open the valve. The downside would be that cracking effort would be increased. But I may find a happy medium where I get useable performance around 1/4 - 1.5" of water rather than at 2.0" of water.

The other is to apply a bit of christolube to the case where the valve seats to make it a bit "stickier".

Anyway, everything is frozen over here now with about 3 ft of ice, so it will be a month or so before I field test these ideas.

DA Aquamaster:
I have thought about it a bit and I have a couple ideas to address the slight freeflow between breaths issue.

One of them would be to adjust the orifice to increase the play in the lever so that a fair amount of air would need to leak out the exhaust before the diaphragm would contact the lever and open the valve. The downside would be that cracking effort would be increased. But I may find a happy medium where I get useable performance around 1/4 - 1.5" of water rather than at 2.0" of water.

The other is to apply a bit of christolube to the case where the valve seats to make it a bit "stickier".

Anyway, everything is frozen over here now with about 3 ft of ice, so it will be a month or so before I field test these ideas.

Any news (good or bad) about your tests? :06:

Second that query by Fredisub . I'm very interested to know results and also any info on whether SP has finally sorted out the problems . does anyone know whether the X650 off the rack will perform as it is suppose to do so and perform up to the rave reviews given by the guys at rodale.

In short, no. You won't get the "sucking a golf ball through the hose" failure anymore but you have to dance a fine line between getting it to breath like the original and a chronic low-level freeflow. Worse, for me, is that it is a wet breather when turning head to the side. Scubapro just needs to write this whole project off and stop trying to recoup the development and marketing costs.

Back
Top Bottom