Wrinkles January '05 Dive and BBQ planning thread - La Jolla

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

headhunter

Renaissance Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK, since the dates and location for the January Wrinkles Dive are now set, I've started this new thread for planning purposes.

I'll keep updating this first post as a synopsis of the info in this thread and will include links to the other Wrinkles threads for easy reference. I'll also provide links from here for threads about future Wrinkles Dives.

When: Saturday, January 29th
Where: La Jolla Shores, San Diego County

What is the Wrinkles Dive?

This is a monthly gathering of all divers and non-divers in SoCal who can make it. It's a lot of fun involving diving, eating, socializing and last month even camping!

It all started when our SoCal member, Wrinkles, mentioned to a group that she dove with that it would be really fun to be able to get together at least once a month. Pasley, took off with the idea and announced the first "Wrinkles Dive". The rest is history!

It's open to everyone of all skill levels from "I'm not certified yet" to "Do we really have to dive the Andrea Doria again?"

We've found this to be a great way to meet our fellow divers locally and many new dive buddies have been found though these "dive soirees".

Info on La Jolla:

Dive Sites

DIRECTIONS

Beach info

RSVP:

I've started a ScubaBoard Calendar event for you to RSVP here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=222&day=2005-1-29&c=32

Please sign up on the Calendar, so that we can get a headcount for food.

If there will be more than one person in your party, please let us know how many will be in your party in this thread.

Loose Schedule of events:

6:00AM - Early Birds arrive and lay claim to a spot (put out tarps and shade thingies)
7:00AM - First Dive,
10:00AM - Second Dive,
12:00AM - Lunch
2:00PM - Third Dive,
5:00PM - Night Dive (Sun sets, bring your lights, extra batteries and warm clothes)
7:00PM - Dinner and more socializing at Rock Bottom Restaurant/Brewery

Items needed:

• EZup(s) - Still needed

• BBQ grill and all the accessories (charcoal - Match Light, tongs, matches, etc.)
Charcoal, matches, lighter fluid - DvrRick
• Propane stove - divinman, headhunter
• Teapot (for Hot Chocolate and Instant Coffee) - divinman, headhunter
• Utensils
plates - headhunter
napkins - headhunter
forks - headhunter
knives - headhunter
trash bags - headhunter
• Breakfast items - jacz (muffins or scones)
• Condiments:
ketchup - Ann Marie
mayo - Ann Marie
mustard - Ann Marie
lettuce - Ann Marie
tomatoes - Ann Marie
onions - Ann Marie
pickles - Ann Marie
• Side Dishes
1. Potato Salad - Shax
2. Macaroni Salad - Shax
3. Chicken Wings - drjet
• Bananas - krowsea
• Oranges - krowsea
• Veggie tray - ShakaZulu
• Chips - Frenchy2005
• Dessert
1. HBDiveGirl - Brownies
2. kelphelper - Bundt Cake
3. jacz - Something tasty
• Hamburgers - divebuddysean, DiveCalifornia, PnL, IAmJimbo, rndramz
• Hamburger Buns - Grey_Wulff
• Hot dogs - Diver_Jan
• Hot dog Buns - Diver_Jan
• Hot Chocolate and Instant Coffee - snakedr
• Water - Mr Clean

Attendance:
Let me know if I've misrepresented anyone's attendance here.

Saturday, January 29th: (35)
headhunter (1)
Kelphelper (1)
Mr. Clean (1)
divinman (1)
mccabejc (4)
HBDiveGirl (1)
DiveCalifornia (1)
krowsea (1)
Ann Marie (1)
PnL (1)
drjet (1)
Diver_Jan (4)
Frenchy2005 (1)
Shax (1)
ShakaZulu (1)
divebuddysean (1)
jacz (3)
IAmJimbo (1)
snakedr (1)
DvrRick (the diver formerly known as ScubaRich :wink: ) (2)
rndramz (1)
Grey_Wulff (1)
velasced (2)
California Diver (1)
abrown203 (1)

Other current Wrinkles threads:

January Wrinkle's Dive

Should we have a fixed rotation of locations for Wrinkles Dives

Here is a tentative "fixed monthly schedule" of locations that is being discussed in the above thread. (Your ongoing input will be appreciated and reflected here):

January - San Diego County
February - Orange County
March - Catalina Island
April - Los Angeles/Ventura County (between Palos Verdes and Leo Carrillo)
May - Santa Barbara County
May - Decide whether to go to San Luis Obispo (SLO), start again in San Diego, or insert a boat dive.

I'll update this post as we have more info.

Christian

Please let us know which items on the Items needed list above you can help with.

I'll add your name to the list as you post what you can help with.

Thanks.

Christian

I'm planning on staying Friday and Saturday night. Getting up at 4am last time left me a little wiped out for the day.

I've got info below on the place I stayed at last time. It was only about 10 minutes away, clean and comfortable. If anyone has suggestions on a better option, let me know.

Here is the info I found on that same place as of today.

Best Western Mission Bay (5.5 mi. from La Jolla)
2 queen beds, Coffee Maker, Hairdryer, Microwave, Refrigerator, No Smoking, Continental Breakfast, Free High-Speed Internet Access.

$89.99 per night (plus tax)

Split by 2 people:
2 nights = $90.00 ea
1 night = $45.00 ea

Split by 3 people:
2 nights = $60.00 ea
1 night = $30.00 ea

Split by 4 people:
2 nights = $45.00 ea
1 night = $22.50 ea

Let me know if you are aware of better options.

Thanks.

Christian

A few of us are going to Los Coronados on Sunday with the gottadive.com (DCI). Last I heard there were 5 spots remaining, but that was a week ago or so. Anyone is welcome to come along.

The La Jolla Cove is pretty much not diveable during the winter since it is a North facing beach and the swells come out of the North during winter. It has lots of underwater bio-mass which gets blown around during swells and ruins the vis.

The La Jolla Shores is somewhat protected by Del Mar so it usually has better vis. Most dives go into the canyon so the vis usually gets much better at depth.

The Marine Room has some reef structure you can dive but it really depends on conditions. I have had some fun dives in the reef area but don't dive it too often.
You can also dive the canyon from the Marine Room.

Perhaps Ana can talk to her buddies in the Seadeucers and get us a dive in the Scripps Canyon? They do shore dives from there, but it's a walk (best shore dive though). You also have to get access to a road going down near the dive spot (connections).

If you want to check out some underwater pictures I have taken at the Shores and other San Diego sites (some from boats) and Los Coronados, check out my albums on my website: http://www.scubapost.net/gallery/

Just some information and a few ideas...

I'll be there with the crew (4 total). We'll bring same as last time: burgers and rolls. Although if we get a whole boatload of people for this one and it gets too expensive I may ask for donations.

We may come down Friday afternoon and camp out somewhere on Friday night, or maybe stay at the hotel.

Hi Christian,
DiveCalifornia and I will definitely attend the soiree on the 29th. I'll bring Jim's favorite Brownies for dessert!!!
Thanks for organizing,
Claudette

headhunter:
Please let us know which items on the Items needed list above you can help with.

I'll add your name to the list as you post what you can help with.

Thanks.

Christian

OK, I'll be Carmen Miranda, and bring the 'nanners and Oranges. :eyebrow:

John

divebuddysean:
The La Jolla Cove is pretty much not diveable during the winter since it is a North facing beach and the swells come out of the North during winter. It has lots of underwater bio-mass which gets blown around during swells and ruins the vis.

Yeah..... what he said. We would love to show everyone the Cove, Alligator Head and such, but winter's a tough time to dive there. Visibility is almost always poor to dismal this time of year. I'm sure many would like to try something other than the Shores again, but I think that's what we'll end up doing (I love the Shores, so I'm not complaining though :wink: ).

If I get a chance, assuming of course it does eventually stop raining, I'll try to dive the Cove area a couple of times and see what it looks like.

John

headhunter:
I'm planning on staying Friday and Saturday night. Getting up at 4am last time left me a little wiped out for the day.

I've got info below on the place I stayed at last time. It was only about 10 minutes away, clean and comfortable. If anyone has suggestions on a better option, let me know.

Here is the info I found on that same place as of today.

Best Western Mission Bay (5.5 mi. from La Jolla)
2 queen beds, Coffee Maker, Hairdryer, Microwave, Refrigerator, No Smoking, Continental Breakfast, Free High-Speed Internet Access.

$89.99 per night (plus tax)

Split by 2 people:
2 nights = $90.00 ea
1 night = $45.00 ea

Split by 3 people:
2 nights = $60.00 ea
1 night = $30.00 ea

Split by 4 people:
2 nights = $45.00 ea
1 night = $22.50 ea

Let me know if you are aware of better options.

Thanks.

Christian

I've used Priceline for that particular area and have gotten great rates for the Hyatt Islandia (It was actually a little less than the price on the Best Western you have there). You can't pick the exact hotel with Priceline but you get to choose the general location and quality of where you stay. Just a suggestion.

Sign me up for the condiments!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom