Wrinkles April '05 Dive, BBQ and Campout planning thread - Leo Carrillo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm heading out myself... see ya'll there!

** Malibu conditions update: ** (Saturday wind alert).

Just so everyone knows, here are the latest Malibu conditions:
- saturday will be *extremely* windy (30-35mph), between 11AM and 7PM. be prepared! Sunday will be much less windy. Temperatures will fall to 47 degrees sat night, but the wind (much calmer at night) will make it feel like 44 degrees, so bundle up! The least wind will be early morning. (Note - i hear the wind is blocked in the leo carillo campground). The peace dive boat just canceled their trip for tomorrow due to 40 knot wind forecasts.

There will be a decent NW swell on saturday (not huge, it should defintely be diveable), but much of malibu is partially protected, don't be afraid to look around Leo for good entry points, as surf can change at different parts of Leo. The swell should drop on sunday.

Zuma beach reported water temp of 53 degrees, but it could possibly be much warmer at Leo since its away from the canyon, lets hope for that!

Tide - high tides are at 10:30 sat, 11:20 sun, so the best diving from a tide perspective will be from 8:30 to noon both days....

The recent upwellings have created colder water and a nutrient upwelling that has created a red tide in some areas. Again, this red tide has been spotty, so some areas could be clear, while other areas could be very low vis. Don't be afraid to try different dive spots! There are at least 3 different areas at Leo (south leo, sequit point, north leo).

Claudette and I are tentatively planning on hitting some dive spots in addition to Leo during the weekend (Malibu Road, Point Dume, El Matator) - if anyone is interested in diving any of those sites, let me know. (Malibu road- easy access / entry. El Matator - long hike down / up - you must be in shape! Most beautiful site in so-cal. Point dume - very long surface swim - you must be a good surface swimmer! and good on air, or have a large tank.)

Scott

Now you kids have fun and miss me a little ok...........watchout for the Great Whites, it's their annual migration and they've been spotted off the coast.

This should keep Jim's mind busy for a few hours.

OK, I got a later start than expected, but I'm out the door now.

I should be there at about 12:30.

Christian

It was nice seeing the few hardcores on Friday, but I couldn't make it back this weekend. After looking at the break Friday night...was not sure what to expect.

I worked late Saturday and Sunday met up on the Island diver with www.divevets.com/upcoming.htm.

I just got back in (and unpacked), despite the less than perfect conditions it was a great weekend camping, diving (or in attempting to) and just hanging out with other members. I'll put up a few photos as soon as I respond to my ever-growing inbox of support tickets. Thanks to everyone who showed!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom