Wreck diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a F4U corsair submerged IN 75 feet of water about one mile off shore in OC at reef point. It bellied in around 1948.

I published an article in the now defunct SD produced, but national magazine titled "Discover Diving" in the Jan/Feb 1991 edition titled "The discovery and Demise of THE MYSTRY PLANE OF SCOTSMANS COVE." You might want to check out the article and consider a dive or two on it.

sdm

Thank you thank you thank you thank you. That plane, along with the f-14, and SR-71, is my favorite. i would love to see that....If i could arange it would anyone want to dive the Corsair w me?

Date permitting on the August trip, My truck can carry four comfortably with all gear.

Day trip or weekend outing doesnt matter to me...just let there be a wreck to see!

Youre right i did mix them up. you'd thing with my WWII concentration I would know better. Anyway the plane wreck i would love to dive is the F4U...Marine corp configuration not navy...there is supposed to be one on the windward side of Oahu but supposedly it has been so beaten up over the years it has become less than a skeleton

I know most here have already seen this but here's some video I took of some wrecks in Hawaii earlier this year including the Corsair. It's actually in really great condition for a plane that went down 62 years ago. During a training mission it ran out of gas and was ditched by it's pilot. I think it's a few miles outside of Hawaii Kai and sits in around 105fsw. It's the only known wreck in Oahu waters that was not purposely sunk as an artificial reef.

Hawaii Diving 2008

BTW everyone, remember if you do any wreck diving it's not a good idea to touch the wrecks even with gloves. Penetrating areas where there is no visable exit is also not a good idea. And from what I've recently heard, touching the P38 wreck is strictly prohibited. The more we touch the quicker they deteriorate so lets be conscious and help preserve these beauties so we can make many visits back. See everyone tomorrow!

Billy

Last edited:
Thank you thank you thank you thank you. That plane, along with the f-14, and SR-71, is my favorite. i would love to see that....If i could arange it would anyone want to dive the Corsair w me?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good gosh! I suddenly realized that 1991 was 17 years ago and you and most others were probably not involved in recreational diving at that juncture of your life.

If interested and one would assume you are by your post I can snail mail you a copy of my Discover Diving article on the Corsair. Please PM your e mail and snail mail address and I will drop a copy in the mail.

I would reqest that the distribution be limited to members of the Beach Crabs and no one else...(Your leader will explain why)

Please bear in mind that the Corsair dive is an advanced dive in every sense of the word...it is open ocean, 75 feet deep, devoid of reference points and most often especially in the summer months with the swells comming out of the south can be very bumpy. Strongly urge that you delay diving it until the winter months and you have gained more experience which you can obtain under the leadership of Ric who is LA County Instructor.

I just looked over my Discover Diving file for the first time in years. I had a monthy dedicated column in DD titled "The way it was..." I discovered I have a number of old articles that might be of some interest to you and the BCs. I will also send some of them along --with of course restricted distribution,

cheers, sdm

Dive on a WWII warplane? In a heartbeat!!

Hell yes I would go!!!

Back
Top Bottom