Suggestion Wow...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Laser:
Well that may have been true until advertising dollars began to roll in.

Laser,
Perhaps you could tell me just what impact Google's ads have had on any moderating decisions? Up to this point all of our paid ad campaigns are run by a 3rd party system meaning the actual advertisers have no direct relationship with ScubaBoard and thus no influence on what goes on. We are very clear about our advertising tos and have gone to great lengths to insure advertising does not buy influence or control over the board. I would ask that you back up your statements with a bit more than just one sentence, as it stands your intentions are questionable.

Hey Tech Admin,

What color did you want your Rolls in??? I'm going for the Hunter Green myself! Bwahahaha!

There have been reports and speculation of obscene amounts of money to be made on a .com enterprise such as this. Unfortunately, reality has a way of rearing it's ugly head but we at least scrape by without having to beg for donations from our members. There will always be those who have to look a gift horse in the mouth and that's their choice. Me? I am just glad that the board didn't fold and that we have made sure that it will be around for awhile.

wrongkey:
You've got 20,000 or so people over for dinner?
It get's a bit crowded... :wink:

Tech Admin:
Laser,
Perhaps you could tell me just what impact Google's ads have had on any moderating decisions? Up to this point all of our paid ad campaigns are run by a 3rd party system meaning the actual advertisers have no direct relationship with ScubaBoard and thus no influence on what goes on. We are very clear about our advertising tos and have gone to great lengths to insure advertising does not buy influence or control over the board. I would ask that you back up your statements with a bit more than just one sentence, as it stands your intentions are questionable.

Actually its interseting, you quoted Laser but his post in the thread along with my reply to him is long gone. AND I never got a PM saying that it is being removed.

I'm not so worried about the Google Ads. I'm more worried about other sources of income ( such as class reports... we know who always posts those around here ) and any backside dealings ( for example will money influencing who becomes a moderator or who gets their posts pulled or banned because they disagree with the opinion of a certain interest group )

Hey Chrpai,

Was it one of us on the grassy knoll too? Has anyone ever tried to charge you to post a class report? Have you looked at the list of Mods? There is a nice even distribution between DIR, Not DIR, Tech, Not Tech, etc. So if one group is controlling it why aren't we all from that group?

Chad

BTW...I looked back a few pages and the post that Tech Admin quoted by Laser is still there, followed by your reply.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=45751&page=9&pp=15

Tech Admin:
Laser,

I was merely replying to the sentence I quoted..." This place is a privately owned internet bulliten board owned by someone to allow you to communicate with those of similar interests. " The inference being that it isn't completely an altruistic venture simply to let divers connect wth each other. Not that there's anything wrong with taking advertising dollars.....as I'm sure it helps defray ant costs incurred running the board. My " intentions " that you are so concerned about are far from the sinister that you seem to imagine.

chrpai:
I did searched through every one of those pages and it WAS gone.

I can't answer as to why it wasn't there when you looked for it.

Chad

NetDoc:
Do you think I should just be a victim to some cyber thugs because you don't think it's fair to hide behind a user name? That you even suggest this while hiding behind your username is the ultimate in hypocrisy.

My point exactly in what I posted regarding names - I think its forgotten that the user names, handles if you will, are only part of the persona of the mystic online annonominity. 10-10, over... :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom