Wow! Mares Synchro Power Tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WreckWriter once bubbled...

Now you've done it!

I'm bad...I know. Thread degradation beginning in 3...2...1

In all seriousness, I would love to hear the views of other "technical" training agencies. If someone can pull something from another agency or repsected figure in tech diving where they lay out the reasoning for why you SHOULD have a dual bladder / bungied wings, let's see it.

That's not an invite to argue...simply an offer to get the "authorities" viewpoints together in one place and compare and contrast.

Now, having said that...is there a damn good chance this thread will still degrade into a DIR/anti-DIR thread. Probably...but let'sbe honest with one another...we all kind of like it when the gloves come off :wink:

Ahhhh....ScubaBoard...it's like Jerry Springer for divers.

Matt

P.S. - Threads like this make me count the days until O-Ring gets back...

First I want to thank King Kong Matt for his explanation, I hope some one has learned some things here today and I wich he asked for explanation why I said what I said before making me look silly.
As I am a tek instructor and I have been teaching years students tek courses , and I have been taking and learning for years tek courses as well
I think that I know what I am talking about .
Thanks again

wazza once bubbled...
First I want to thank King Kong Matt for his explanation...

I want to be clear that the text I posted was a reprint. This is not MY explanation. The source was an article written by Jarrod Jablonski of GUE.

Just wanted to be clear on that.

wazza once bubbled...
As I am a tek instructor and I have been teaching years students tek courses , and I have been taking and learning for years tek courses as well
I think that I know what I am talking about .

I am not a technical diver so I have no real basis for personally evaluating whether dual bladders and bungied wings are a good or bad idea.

As you say, you are a technical instructor with some experience, and I gathered from an earlier post that you thought these (dual bladders and bungied wings) were both good ideas.

Would you, if for nothing more than my edification, take the time to explain why you would disagree with Mr. Jablonski regarding the potential safety issues associated with dual bladders and bungied wings?

Why, and this is not a trick question, are they a good thing in your mind?

Thx,
Matt

I have heard some divers talk about using their drysuit as a BC. To be truly redundant, would the drysuit inflator have to be on a separate air supply? How likely, when planning for redundant backups, is a failure to the system inflating a bouyancy device?

yknot once bubbled...
I have heard some divers talk about using their drysuit as a BC. To be truly redundant, would the drysuit inflator have to be on a separate air supply? How likely, when planning for redundant backups, is a failure to the system inflating a bouyancy device?

drysuit inflator hose comes off the right post (or separate argon bottle). The bc lp hose comes off the left post. Truly redundant.

Rax is almost right, he's just confusing his left and right a bit :)

As he says, the inflators come off seperate posts which, when using a proper manifold with an isolator, gives you redundancy.

If you want to talk about failure of the inflation system you have redundancy with only a BC as you can always blow it up. They do still teach that don't they? You can even breath from it but they DON'T teach that :)

Dual bladders shoved into the space where one should fit increase the likelihood of failure for reasons that should be obvious (folding, friction, sticking, etc). If you increase the size of the outer shell accordingly you introduce problems with increased drag and entanglement/puncture risk.

No need to use equipment designed to fix problems that don't exist.

WW

buff once bubbled...
All this tension caused by that darn Mares Synchro Power Tech BCD.

Those things ARE troublesome!

Ain't it so? :) You should how much work bungeed wings are!

WW

With separate posts and an isolator, are you refering to using 2 sparate first stages? I am truly trying to understand your configurations. To my thinking, with single reg/first stage, both a BC and drysuit would feed from same 1st stage and neither would feed if you had a first stage failure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom