Wow! Mares Synchro Power Tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some things only seem like a good deal.

raxafarian once bubbled...
I feel that redundancy is best provided by a drysuit, or a liftbag if diving wet, not with some gimmicky double bladder wing.

Is that better Padipro?

Your feelings has nothing to do with tek diving and redundancy.
And I fell that u have u have no idea about tek diving as well.

Can someone please explain to me why Wazza's information about redundancy, why it is considered wrong? (i.e. Raxafarian and Wreckwriter)...

I think we should all try to help each other here, rather than take the p*** out of people that have different preferences and experiences. Sorry, just my point of view!

Sumo

sumo once bubbled...
Can someone please explain to me why Wazza's information about redundancy, why it is considered wrong? (i.e. Raxafarian and Wreckwriter)...

I think we should all try to help each other here, rather than take the p*** out of people that have different preferences and experiences. Sorry, just my point of view!

Sumo

Certainly. In my point of view, the information is wrong in two ways; first, because dual bladder BCs add unneeded complexity and additional points of failure for no good reason. If one requires redundant buoyancy, one should wear a drysuit. One should always have a liftbag as well. Secondly, neither of the units which were put forward as the "best" are, again, in my point of view, anywhere near the "best".

As for taking "the p*** out of people", I'm still working on figuring out what you're talking about. Perhaps that's a UK expression?

When one has an opinion which might be different from the mainstream opinion, one should say "it's my opinion" rather than stating it as pure fact.

WW

All I was trying to say is it is simply more constructive to discuss why someones point is wrong, instead of just laughing in their face!

I think I have a valid point here. Anyway. Enough of the *****ing :)

wazza once bubbled...

Your feelings has nothing to do with tek diving and redundancy.
And I fell that u have u have no idea about tek diving as well.

I'll apologize for the "too funny" comment.

My feelings have everything to do with it. Dual bladders seem to bigger overseas (non-US.)? I don't like adding something to a rig that has no real benefit. Nobody I dive with has such a wing.

I have no idea about tech diving... you are right. I'm always learning, and will continue to for the rest of my life. I do have common sense, and it tells me there is no use for a double bladder wing.

The following paragraphs are taken from the GUE website (from an article written by JJ).

This is not meant to be a pro-DIR/anti-DIR intro. It is simply the reasoning of an individual who has done a fair amount of technical diving in his lifetime.

It is provided purely as AN explanation, without any assumptions that it is the ONLY explanation or it is the COMPLETELY RIGHT explanation.

That was my disclaimer :)

Now on to the show...(my emphasis has been added)

In response to the technical divers concern over a loss of buoyancy several manufacturers have incorporated two bladders into one casing. These BCs have redundant exhaust valves and inflator systems. One should be wary of connecting both inflators at one time as a small leak from the inflator could continue adding air to the unaware divers BC. As the diver becomes more positive they will usually try to empty their primary BC remaining unaware of the secondary inflation. If the diver is unable to correct this problem quickly enough they may find themselves at the surface experiencing any number of maladies. The redundant BC inflator should be tucked away but within reach so that in the unlikely event of a failure an inflator can be connected. The spare inflator can be connected to the hose previously controlling the failed BC or to a hose attached to the corrugated hose but not connected to the power inflator.

Several of the new style BCs have become known as bondage wings because the contain numerous bands of flexible material that restrict the size of the wings and theoretically decrease their drag. When the BC is inflated the bands should stretch and allow the wings to fully inflate and when the air is released the bands shrink down the excess material of the BC. If one desires to use this system they must attach the flexible bands when the BC is inflated to insure that the bands do not prevent full inflation. The BC. should then be checked in the water to insure that the overpressure relief is not prematurely activated. Opinion, of course varies on the desirability of the system. As the wings get larger measures are taken to reduce their drag. Many divers still opt for the smaller size, eliminating the concern altogether.

The horse's mouth...
http://www.gue.com/equipment/jj-hogarth.shtml

Back
Top Bottom