Wound in the tropics ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are right, I reach the same conclusion, better too prevent a bigger problem for sure.
Interesting regarding sugar, seems it helps wound healing when not infected too.

Honey ointment.

Iodine or alcohol are fine to clean the healthy skin around the wound but not the injured area itself as they kill tissue and cause pain. If you need to clean the wound use water, as long as it's purified.

If you're concerned about infection you can apply polysporin or something similar. Expose the wound to air when you're not likely to contact contaminants and cover it if you are.

Iodine or alcohol are fine to clean the healthy skin around the wound but not the injured area itself as they kill tissue and cause pain. If you need to clean the wound use water, as long as it's purified.

If you're concerned about infection you can apply polysporin or something similar. Expose the wound to air when you're not likely to contact contaminants and cover it if you are.
I’m not a doctor, but I thought the old “let it air out” thing was, well, old. I believe the recommendation for wounds is to keep moist with an over-the-counter antibiotic ointment and a bandage, as it will heal much faster this way.

I personally would just get some triple antibiotic and some waterproof tape or bandaging......clean it up, wrap it up and go diving. Check and change the dressing as needed.

I personally would just get some triple antibiotic and some waterproof tape or bandaging......clean it up, wrap it up and go diving. Check and change the dressing as needed.
Have you ever dived with an open wound in the tropics?

@mod: This thread was opened twice. Maybe they can be merged into one.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread started by same poster on same topic in General Travel has been merged into this thread.

Really, stupid to dive with it then?
Ok to dive when it has scabbed though right?
Just stay out until it scabs over? Like two or three days?
I have betadine.
I can put that on it.
> I am not a medical doctor <

This wound is an especially difficult spot …not only is it difficult to bandage up effectively, but there’s not a whole lot of blood circulation in that area. A lot of very thick skin so healing will be a prolonged slog.

With the increased likelihood of an infection in this area, you will rue the day that you went scuba diving -it isn’t worth it a deep infection here which could easily cause the loss of toes

In a humid tropical environment, the healing of skin is delayed quite a bit versus if you were standing in Canada or someplace it was reasonably dry. If you’re in the tropics, you will not see sufficient scabbing in any near term. Immersion thereafter will simply cause the scab to slough off. This continued exposure will likely cause a permanent loss of regrown tissue, if not worse.

In many tropical countries, you can walk into the Farmacia and obtain powdered antibiotics like sulfa powder- ask their advice, but to keep that thing dry is key.

The ocean look might look bright and clear, but remember what WC Fields said about water …you’re basically swimming in a sewer.

I have self medicated on other areas of the body, like a shin or an arm, and nothing can be easier to fix. If you have a roll of duct tape (you should), some triple anabiotic ointment (you should), and some gauze padding (paper towels work) you could make a waterproof bandage pretty easily.

Protocol is to re-bandage it after every dive, keep it slathered in antibiotic ointment and get North and dry as fast as you can.

Never had a failure, but that’s my experience

As far as toes and things that are difficult to bandage? It ain’t gonna happen.

Go sit at the bar, i would keep it covered and slathered in antibiotic ointment, drink furiously until you get on the plane to go home.

YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom