Wound in the tropics ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scubajunky17

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Day 1 of vacation and I have quite a gash on my little toe after jetty slip.
I'm in the tropics, apart from iodine and airing it as much as possible there is not much else I can do is there ?

First and foremost keep it clean. Change your dressings regularly. I would recommend getting a broad spectrum antibiotic just to be safe.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor but I play one with my wife.

I'm not sure if it looks worse than it is or not.
Not big for sure but might be difficult to keep clean on an island and diving.

Attachments

• IMG_20230727_194510484.jpg
    IMG_20230727_194510484.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 77
Day one of my dive trip In the tropics and I have slipped and cut my toe on the jetty.
Apart from iodine and air, what else can I do to help it heal?
TIA​

Attachments

• IMG_20230727_194510484.jpg
    IMG_20230727_194510484.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 78
If you keep diving with a wound it'll get worse as the skin gets soft and helps the infection. I've had several really nasty infections from diving with small open wounds and I know instructor buddy who had the same issue. Sometimes turning tiny wound into literal infected holes in the flesh. Not kidding.

Stay out of the water, keep it dry and clean and if you don't have access to other stuff from a doctor you can put sugar on the wound. It'll dry out the wound and kill bacteria.

Really, stupid to dive with it then?
Ok to dive when it has scabbed though right?
Just stay out until it scabs over? Like two or three days?
I have betadine.
I can put that on it.

Really, stupid to dive with it then?
Ok to dive when it has scabbed though right?
Just stay out until it scabs over? Like two or three days?
I have betadine.
I can put that on it.
An instructor buddy of mine in Egypt had a scabbed over small wound and kept diving with it... the scab fell of at the tiny wound turned into a really gross infected hole on top of his foot and it got bigger. He ended up staying out of the water for months.

If you're on vacation for a week... maybe do a couple of dives and keep and eye on it. If you're there for longer stay out of the water and go to a doctor.

Ok thanks, I'm getting worried about diving with it now.
I am here for a month so I don't have to dive right now as much as I want to. Not sure I can wait until it is completely healed either though .
Thanks for your advice.

An instructor buddy of mine in Egypt had a scabbed over small wound and kept diving with it... the scab fell of at the tiny wound turned into a really gross infected hole on top of his foot and it got bigger. He ended up staying out of the water for months.

If you're on vacation for a week... maybe do a couple of dives and keep and eye on it. If you're there for longer stay out of the water and go to a doctor.

Ok thanks, I'm getting worried about diving with it now.
I am here for a month so I don't have to dive right now as much as I want to. Not sure I can wait until it is completely healed either though .
Thanks for your advice.
If I was there for a month I'd rather stay out of the water for a week or ten days than dive another week and deal with a nasty infection and having to stay out of the water the last 2 weeks. Sucks, but **** happens. Make sure you keep it dry an clean. And if it gets infected, go see a doctor.

BTW: The suger is only for when it's infected. I wouldn't put it on fresh wounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom