Votes: 14 12.8%
  • poler cap

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • if it was colder

Votes: 9 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

66 no, maybe at 56. Or maybe just go further south.

I hate hoods, but I wear my "beanie" even in 78F water -- since it just covers to top part of my head (and my big bald spot) and is held in place by a velcro chin strap, it is much more comfortable than a hood.

... I wear them a lot of the time. Repetitive and long dives, even in very warm waters, will zap your core body temp in no time. :eek:

Finding one that is comfortable is crucial to "liking" them. Some people are natural heat generators and need to lose some heat through their head when wearing wetsuits. Not I. I need to retain as much as I can.

I even wear a very light weight beanie on tropical live-aboards where we are doing multiple dives on consecutive days. I avoid the on-board hot tub but always take advantage of a very quick hot shower immediately after the dive then get out of the wetsuit and dried off and slap on a hat ASAP. OK so the hat is more for vanity, but it serves double duty in retaining body heat between dives. :wink:

I wore a hood in November when it was 59 degrees. I'm thankful I did. I guess the question would also be whether you're doing multiple dives a day. If I was doing more than one and/or for an extended period of time then....yes

At 66 degrees, I'm in a 2 mil steamer plus a 3 mil jacket w/ integrated hood. That's about the coldest water I'd consider diving in. Anything colder and I think I'd want a dry suit.

Us Flordia divers have thin blood :)

... is there a safety factor in wearing a hood...
Long term exposure to cold can lead to the development of Bony Exostosis:
This is a blockage of the inner portion of the ear canal by a bony growth called exostosis. This is more commonly seen in surfers, but occasionally can be seen in cold water divers. It is thought to be due to the cooling effect of evaporating water on surfers - and on the effect of cold water on divers. It can cause problems in divers by blocking the egress of cerumen and thus the canal, producing the possibility of an external ear squeeze, decreased ability to equalize, alternobaric vertigo and caloric vertigo.

Prevention is by the use of ear plugs in surfers and hoods or vented ear plugs in divers.
http://www.proplugs.com/scuba.html
Definitive treatment is by an operative procedure called canalectomy - or the excision of the bony area of the ear canal that is blocking the canal.
See also http://www.earaces.com/surfear.htm

quote from our own Scuba Doc's website, thanks Ernie.

I have this condition, it's a real mischief maker. Wish I would've known about the benefits of keeping the head/ears warm, maybe I wouldn't be listening to this chorus of Cicadas in my head right now. :wink:

http://www.scuba-doc.com/entprobs.html

I only wear a hood when forced. I'm with JDB, I hate them. I look at them as a (sometimes) necessary evil.

I find myself wearing my hood much more often. It helps on repetitive dives and is comfortable for me, plus it elminates my mask pulling on what little hair I have. Also good for keeping fish poo out of your hair. If your hood fits right it (other than cosmetically) it probably shouldn't be that much of a bother.

And besides, it doesn't look nearly as geeky as a beanie :eek:ut:.

Seeing as UK waters rarely get above 60F, then yes I wear a hood every dive.

Adrian

Back
Top Bottom