Votes: 14 12.8%
  • poler cap

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • if it was colder

Votes: 9 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is, clearly, a hood. I have a very hard time leaving my hood behind, even in warmer waters.

In case of more than one dive a day, I will only dive with a hood.

Ari :)

I hate wearing a hood. Its got to be pretty cold for me to put one on.

but I don't get cold that easy.

Its a fact that most body heat is lost from the extremities. Heat will leave the body until the body/water interface is 87F ((98.6+66)/2). At 87F the body will be adversely affected. At 66F or almost any other temperature (maybe except tropical climates during the warmer months) there is almost no reason not to. That being said, I only been diving for a year with 5 dives. If anyone has other more experienced opinions, I'd be glad to hear them.

thanks for letting me respond,

joe

95% of my diving is where I have no choice but to wear a hood, so when I get to warm waters - 60 deg+, I usually don't wear a hood - maybe more for the novelty than anything.......

SS

yeah, you're right...most heat leaves the body through the head, and most likely I should be wearing a hood at 65 degrees, but I so rarely get to see those warm temps than when I do, it is kind of like AC in your car....

It would be the same thing as a little old lady in FL turning on the heater in her house when the temp gets below 75. Hell, I'm outside running around in shorts and a sleeve-less T. IT is all relative to what your body has adapted to.

Big-t
Thanks for putting it in perspective. On another note, is there a safety factor in wearing a hood, or like you said, is it what your body can handle?

thanks again,

joe

I would probably bring my hood to the dive site, and figure it out when I'm there. My hood is the one piece of equiptment I hate so I would leave it behind if I could.

There are times when I wear a hood in 80 degree water too...of course that is a search and recovery dive in 20 ft of water with absolutely no viz, and a ton of crap in the lake to cut yourself or injure yourself on, so yes, that would be my safety factor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom