Staying warm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Riki

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,
Heading on my first liveaboard with water temps around 22 degrees C. This is much colder then I'm used to diving in 27 degrees. I feel the cold easily and am getting worried that I will be too chilled to dive.
I will be in a 5mm or 7mm suit but looking at purchasing a hood and neoprene socks. Maybe a base layer to wear underneath? What do you think? What mm would be best for the extras? Can I dive with gloves in Egypt?
Sorry, so many questions but thanks in advance for your advice.

You could also add a heated vest under your current wetsuit. A few manufacturers make heated vests that are fully waterproof. For 22C I'd be in a 3mm with no hood. For cold intolerable people you may do better with a properly fit 7mm semi-dry. Minimizing water transfer will keep you warm. Either that or get a dry suit and be happy.

For a live-aboard with several dives a day in this temperature, I would use a 6.5mm semidry suit at least if not a drysuit with a 5mm hood, a 3mm gloves and a 6mm boots.

I'd worry also about Air temperature between the dives on the surface, it will be breezy and feels colder than water. I'd pack a warm wind breaker and a sweater to wear underneath it.

I'd worry also about Air temperature between the dives on the surface, it will be breezy and feels colder than water. I'd pack a warm wind breaker and a sweater to wear underneath it.
^^This^^

It was very windy in Egypt (Sharm) in January last year – not sure about March – so staying warm on deck between dives was a challenge. I was the envy of the boat as I brought a puffy jacket and sweater. There was a game of musical chairs on board, trying to find and secure the most wind protected nook, with every change of heading

Thank you all for the feedback I will def be taking a fleece and windbreaker to use on board. I am currently in Israel and dive shops are few and far between with prices very high. Is it possible to buy a hood, gloves and dive socks in Hurghada? I will have a few days there before my liveaboard begins or would amazon be better? Any Amazon recommendations?

^^This^^

It was very windy in Egypt (Sharm) in January last year – not sure about March – so staying warm on deck between dives was a challenge. I was the envy of the boat as I brought a puffy jacket and sweater. There was a game of musical chairs on board, trying to find and secure the most wind protected nook, with every change of heading

I was diving in Sharm myself last year in March and I froze on the boat between dives but I was ok underwater :) That desert Winter breeze is freezing.

I will have a few days there before my liveaboard begins or would amazon be better?
If you can't get to a dive shop then buy on Amazon. Get a few sizes of what you like and see what fits best. Return anything that doesn't fit. Hood should be snug but not tight and shouldn't pull your jaw back hard. If you're using boots already then adding a 2-3mm sock shouldn't be a problem. I like to dive with a sock under my 8mm boots because it makes them so much easier to don/doff. Gloves are gloves...

At 22 Celsius, I would be diving my full 7 mm wetsuit and 5/3 mm hooded vest, especially with 3 or 4 dives/day. I also really dislike being cold and it increases my gas consumption. A hooded vest gives you significantly more warmth than a hood alone. If you happen to be to warm, you can pull down the hood and or not use the hooded vest on a dive.

A good windproof. warm boat coat is a must.

I have been one of the few warm divers on a liveaboard on several occasions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom