Best type of hood for Seaskin drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

After doing a bunch of research and reading lots of reviews on this forum, I’ll be buying a Seaskin trilam drysuit (never used one before). Which type of hood will be best for 40-60 degree water temp? I know there are some hoods that have a “skirt” that extends down to the shoulders (I had one of these and was able to tuck it into my 7mm wetsuit) and some that effectively cut right off at the neck.

Can you also recommend any brand/models that stand out?

For the Seaskin, there are two “neck” options…is each option specific to a type of hood?

Thanks.

Whatever hood you currently use technically can be used with a drysuit. I use a 5/3 bibbed hood in 40-50° water and have the standard warm neck on my Nova.

The necks Seaskin list are the standard and simple. Standard has velcro openings on the left and right side which makes tucking the hood bib into it a lot easier. The simple neck is just a stretchy cone of neoprene and imo works best with a regular "drysuit" hood. With no bib.

I use the waterproof H1 in 10/5 mm and I don’t like the warm neck option because while it works well for tucking in the hood it made repairs harder as my suit aged. This is just my opinion but I do have about 8 years on my first Seaskin and have a new one that I ordered with no warm neck option. I still got the quick neck system and have put a waterproof neoprene neck seal made for the system in it. My recommendation (which I couldn’t bring myself to do on my new suit but I think it’s a better option) get the suit with a glued in neoprene seal, you can put in a ring system later or just have a new neo glued in after several years of use.

For 50F water, I wear a 5mm hood.

The bib-less hoods appeal to me more. I find them easier to work with because there's no excess material to stow, and I still get a decent seal around my neck.

As far as brands go, a recommendation won't help you much. The key is trying hoods and seeing which brand fits your head. Some people swear by brands that make my jaw ache.

Whatever hood you currently use technically can be used with a drysuit. I use a 5/3 bibbed hood in 40-50° water and have the standard warm neck on my Nova.

The necks Seaskin list are the standard and simple. Standard has velcro openings on the left and right side which makes tucking the hood bib into it a lot easier. The simple neck is just a stretchy cone of neoprene and imo works best with a regular "drysuit" hood. With no bib.
hey so I'm actually kind of forced to buy a waterproof h1 hood w/ bib (store credit that I have to use) <- here: H1 5/7mm - Waterproof Diving
in your experience does that look like it would fit inside the standard neck option?
I imagine a side effect of having the standard neck option + bibbed hood = warmer neck (especially if using silicone/latex), right?

I use the waterproof H1 in 10/5 mm and I don’t like the warm neck option because while it works well for tucking in the hood it made repairs harder as my suit aged. This is just my opinion but I do have about 8 years on my first Seaskin and have a new one that I ordered with no warm neck option. I still got the quick neck system and have put a waterproof neoprene neck seal made for the system in it. My recommendation (which I couldn’t bring myself to do on my new suit but I think it’s a better option) get the suit with a glued in neoprene seal, you can put in a ring system later or just have a new neo glued in after several years of use.
you're using the waterproof h1 with a bib? if yes, can you confirm that the warm neck option you're using is the "standard" one (with velcro straps for tucking in bib)?
do you find that the bib helps keep your neck warmer?

another idea: I could probably just cut the waterproof h1 bib off along the bottom of the horizontal seam (cutting into the vertical seam on the bib), then burn the vertical seam bottom (like we do for our bungee/rope attachments) <- think this would work?

If I were to do this, is there any downside (aside from more difficult repairs) to having the standard neck option (velcro one) and just not use it with a bib? More neoprene = more warmth; can't be a bad thing

you're using the waterproof h1 with a bib? if yes, can you confirm that the warm neck option you're using is the "standard" one (with velcro straps for tucking in bib)?
do you find that the bib helps keep your neck warmer?
The H1 has a short bib which tucks ok but I don’t use any “warm” neck option now, my first nova had one but didn’t get one on either the ultra or my new nova, I prefer the waterproof neoprene neck seal which is nice and warm on it own.

another idea: I could probably just cut the waterproof h1 bib off along the bottom of the horizontal seam (cutting into the vertical seam on the bib), then burn the vertical seam bottom (like we do for our bungee/rope attachments) <- think this would work?

If I were to do this, is there any downside (aside from more difficult repairs) to having the standard neck option (velcro one) and just not use it with a bib? More neoprene = more warmth; can't be a bad thing
Why not just get the neoprene suit with a glued in neoprene neck seal?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom