Staying warm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all,
Heading on my first liveaboard with water temps around 22 degrees C. This is much colder then I'm used to diving in 27 degrees. I feel the cold easily and am getting worried that I will be too chilled to dive.
I will be in a 5mm or 7mm suit but looking at purchasing a hood and neoprene socks. Maybe a base layer to wear underneath? What do you think? What mm would be best for the extras? Can I dive with gloves in Egypt?
Sorry, so many questions but thanks in advance for your advice.

A drysuit is the only way to go if the water temperature is below 23 C

I am like you I'm fully spoiled with 27/28 water. Anything below 25 I start to get cold really fast

For continuous 3-5 dives a day liveaboard diving in 22 water I would die without a drysuit. Don't for get on a liveaboard your wetsuit will never actually dry out so every dive you have to pull your self into a cold damp wetsuit to then jump into 22 degree water 3-5 times a day.

You can try a 7mm wetsuits with all kinds of 3mm underlayers etc but i find this to be extremely restrictive, constant packed in like a sardine feeling, uncomfortable and your still wet and shivering. The nice thing about 22 water and a dry suit is all you need is a simple undergarment and your good to go. Super comfy, warm and then when you get out of the water on the liveaboard and everyone else is shivering trying to force there limbs out of there multi layered Michelin man wet suits to warm up you just unzip step out of your dry suit and watch the wetsuit show. Then the best part is to watch al the wetsuit divers who still have probably not fully warmed up from the previous dive squeamishly pull and pry them self's into there wet cold wetsuits multiple times a day be for every dive to then jump into 22 degree water. Meanwhile you walk up in your dry undergarments pull on your dry drysuit and off you go.

Back
Top Bottom