Would You Recommend a Shearwater Peregrine?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, everyone, for your input! I just purchased the Peregrine and downloaded the updates. I'm sure it'll be a great performer on my next dive trip in 3 weeks.
Cheers!:)
Enjoy it.
There is NO way that I would have spent this kind of money on one computer for recreational diving! I will get two non RGBM cheapo.

Out of interest, what do you dive?
Aladin Pro Nitrox(24 yrs old) and a Oceanic!
For tec dive(including trimix) two bottom timers.

What else do I need? Nothing.

If the Aladin pack up I will look at this one:
https://www.crestdiving.com/dive-computer

I believe they made Deep 6 Excursion as well.
Really have to support all those manufacturers in Republic of China!

Enjoy it. There is NO way that I would have spent this kind of money on one computer for recreational diving! I will get two non RGBM cheapo.

Each to their own. I use a Perdix for my recreational diving and am very happy to be using it. Are there cheaper computers out there sure. I did not want any of them. I wanted the Perdix as I like the display the AA battery and the large screen. I don't wear a watch so wasn't interested in things like a Garmin or Teric. I usually do 10 - 12 weeks of overseas diving vacations a year. I get people telling me they wouldn't spend the money doing that either. :)

OK

For those looking for something made in the 21st century, Shearwater has you covered.

Thanks

My daughter dived a SP Air Z Nitrox for many years, it was a good computer. The battery went out and I donated it to an enthusiastic SB member who wanted to rejuvenate it

I dived an Oceanic Pro Plus 2 for 8 years and then switched to a hoseless VT3, still diving that since 2010 Shearwater Reliability My daughter is still diving the Pro Plus 2. My 2nd computer is now a Teric, same transmitter as the VT3

Yes the Crest CR-4 is the originator, rebranded versions include the Genesis Centauri and the Deep 6 Excursion. Looks like a nice, inexpensive computer. It does handle deco in a funky way, you can read about it in the manual or there is info on SB about it

Enjoy it.
There is NO way that I would have spent this kind of money on one computer for recreational diving! I will get two non RGBM cheapo.
You can definitely get cheaper computers.

However, when you start comparing features, the Peregrine is competitively priced. Not many with full color display, Bluetooth, and rechargeable battery at that price. Factor in an easy to use UI, and the Peregrine is starting to make a lot of sense. Especially for new divers. Not much worse than having a computer that the diver doesn’t know how to operate. I’ve seen that happen on checkout dives.

You mentioned the Crest as an option. Unless that is significantly cheaper in Asia than I see, you can’t get two for $450.

My daughters currently have their own computers (Oceanics), but when it comes time to replace them, it will most likely be with a Shearwater. Obviously, that question will be answered by reviewing what new computers are on the market. If the need arose tomorrow, it would be a Peregrine.

I couldn't careless about features, all I need is ndl, max depth and present depth. My Aladin does not even have back light and only log 20 dives.
Am I missing something? Definitely NOT.
I can buy 2 Crests + couple of decent meals and won't cost anywhere near US$450.00.

I couldn't careless about features, all I need is ndl, max depth and present depth. My Aladin does not even have back light and only log 20 dives.
Am I missing something? Definitely NOT.
I can buy 2 Crests + couple of decent meals and won't cost anywhere near US$450.00.
Gotcha. For your needs and wants, the Peregrine makes no sense.

Pricing also appears to be different. I only saw eBay pricing for the Crest. The Genesis version was around $300, and the Deep6 version was a little cheaper at $275.

Really hard to go wrong with just about any modern dive computer. It just comes down to features and capabilities that the diver wants.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom