Would You Recommend a Shearwater Peregrine?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

living4experiences

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just posted about my negative experience with the Aqua Lung i200c. Now I'm shopping for another brand of computer and the Shearwater Peregrine looks like a good choice. About me: I'm a single-tank recreational diver, air and nitrox only, with no aspirations to go any further with trimix or rebreather. So I don't need a tech-style computer with a bunch of functions I'll never use. I don't need an air-integrated computer. No interest in that. I have middle-aged eyes, so a larger, easy-to-read screen is important. The Peregrine has a great screen. My only other computer I've ever had is an Oceanic Veo 2.0, a good work horse, but now I'd like the new computer to have Bluetooth capability to download dives to a free app. The Peregrine checks that box.

It looks like the Peregrine was released in July 2020. I like the price point, $450 USD. My concern about buying the latest and greatest is glitches and bugs that usually happen with brand new models of anything computerized. Has anyone experienced this?

Shearwater seems to have a good reputation for service and repair, and I like the two-year warranty. Has anyone had issues with service or repair?

I'd love to hear your positive and negative feedback about the Peregrine. Thanks in advance!:)

They are great, and come from a strong lineage of Shearwater computers. As for bugs and glitches, Shearwater releases updates and new features to their full line of computers multiple times per year. You update over bluetooth from your phone or pc. You can download dive logs the same way. They have amazing service (us or canada is very rapid) even after the warranty expires. The Pereigrine balances low cost with lack of Air Integration. If you really want AI then you can pay a bit more for a Perdix.

Personally, I experienced outstanding customer service from Shearwater. Issue was a user damage to transmitter. I have owned Perdix and Petrel II with no problems

It looks like the Peregrine was released in July 2020. I like the price point, $450 USD. My concern about buying the latest and greatest is glitches and bugs that usually happen with brand new models of anything computerized. Has anyone experienced this?

Less likely with the Peregrine, it likely is just a Perdix with a rechargeable battery but without the compass chip. If you look at the Shearwater site the Peregrine, and Perdix share the same firmware version. There was an emergency Petrel 2 update or else it would likely be the same version as well.

I would definitely recommend the peregrine! Although I don't use the recreational mode, the rec screen on my Perdix is the best I've ever seen in terms of readability. Shearwater computers are well built and easy to use. Throw in world class service and you've got a computer worth it's weight in gold.

It's a great computer at a nice price point. I've owned one since when they first came out. I've had no issues at all. All it lacks for the recreational diver is air integration but you know that. If that feature isn't important to you, yes, it ticks all the boxes. The screen rocks (I too have middle aged eyes!) and the bluetooth works perfectly. The rechargeable battery hasn't given me an issue at all. I've only had to charge it twice I think. I'm very glad I bought one!

They are great, and come from a strong lineage of Shearwater computers. As for bugs and glitches, Shearwater releases updates and new features to their full line of computers multiple times per year. You update over bluetooth from your phone or pc. You can download dive logs the same way. They have amazing service (us or canada is very rapid) even after the warranty expires. The Pereigrine balances low cost with lack of Air Integration. If you really want AI then you can pay a bit more for a Perdix.

I'm a recreational diver so I ended up buying the Perdix as the Peregrine was not available a few years ago. I had eyes that needed some help too so love the screen. Shearwater have great service. PS My Suunto Vyper had a pressure sensor failure which they would not fix as was out of warranty. Suunto knew their computers had faulty pressure sensors and left a lot of people buying a computer known to fail.

The Peregrine will be fine for your intended use.

Less likely with the Peregrine, it likely is just a Perdix with a rechargeable battery but without the compass chip. If you look at the Shearwater site the Peregrine, and Perdix share the same firmware version. There was an emergency Petrel 2 update or else it would likely be the same version as well.

Latest V81 fixes a couple of things for the Peregrine the Perdix did not have. They share a common base firmware but different hardware. A great company to buy a dive computer from. I will buy a second Perdix for doing my Solo Course in the future.

SHEARWATER V81.jpg

Back
Top Bottom