Would you jump on this deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At first asked if he would just sell the steel 100 and 120, but then offered all 5 for 200 :p

What does this mean. Who offered what to whom??
Buy the tanks have them tested and sell them.
Ohh um ahh um ohh.
What if they fail?
Ohh um ahh um ohh.
Get them tested first.
Ohh um ahh um ohh.
Two hundred bucks.
Ohh um ahh um ohh.
For five tanks.
Ohh um ahh um ohh.
Offer him less.
Ohh um ahh um ohh.
Don't show your faces in public.
Ohh um ahh um ohh.
Knowone can't help you.

That looks like a great deal to me. Figure $100 each for the 120 and 100. Then another $100 for hydro, vis, tumbling, etc... $300 for a pair of HP steel tanks with new hydros is a pretty good deal in itself, but wait, you also get a pair of old 72's and an AL80. Now how much would you pay? $400? $500?

Seriously, the LP72's look like good tanks too. I notice they're galvanized. With mild overfills they'll hold nearly 80 cf. I like them a lot for solo diving. They're very lightweight and they have plenty of air for a 40 minute dive.

On the surface of it, I'd probably pay the guy two hundo for the lot. But I'd take a good look at the steels and under the boots especially.

It's a good opportunity if you're in an entrepreneurial mood.

2 of them being older HP cylinders are probably 3500 PSI DIN only. Is that an issue for you?

If you can remove the boots then do so or at least peek in there. If it's not a self draining boot like the Underwater Kinetics style then the boots must come off for inspection.

If you can drain for a look inside that's cool but the risk sounds low enough to take a chance.

Consider taking the chance, do a preliminary inspection before bringing ti to the shop or ask if your shop will triage the 5. If they don't look awful odds are they'll brush up and hydro fine.

If the AL is an older Luxfur don't wast your time on it. If it's 20 years old and not 6351 flip a coin.

In the end consider some combination of owning and flipping. If you take the risk to acquire and get them recommissioned you won't have to sell at fire sale prices. If your market is soft until spring then hydro then for a fresh date. In the end you may get a tank for free or 2+for cheap.

Pete

If they were in my city the thread would be titled, "Hey: check out the tanks I got for $200."

My thought exactly. Considering I've p***** away $200 more than once without even getting anything substantial this is one sweet deal. You may have to tumble the Nitrox tanks, check the stamp on the AL and, I'll bet the 72 is good. One of mine had the yellow coating when I got it years ago and no one has a problem with Hydro or vis. Let me know if the J valve works.

Bob
--------------------------------
Just got out of the water a few hours ago.

The yellow is just paint,US divers tank. It would be fine if no rust pits. 200 is cheap for two hp tanks,the rest are a bonus.

(2) Steel 72 J-valve

Opinions?

Since most people have chimed in on the tanks, I'll throw another thought out there. If the J-valves are in decent condition and you're not interested in them, make a post in the vintage forum and you might find someone willing to buy or swap them for something else that you may like better.

By the looks of the tanks (the blue one - 120cu ft , and the galv one w/nitrox sticker to the left - 100 cu ft) - those appear to be HP - if the last hydro was in 200 - they are probably PST?

I think that there is a PST permit getting ready to expire so if they are in fact PST tanks you may want to be sure that they don't fall under that permit. The permit may get picked up but the fact that it may not would certainly be something to consider.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom