Would you jump on this deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey All,

Just wanted your opinions on this deal:

$200 for 5 out of Hydro tanks (last hydro was in 2000, all have air in them)
(1) Steel 120 DIN
(1) Steel 100 DIN
(1) Alum 80 DIN
(2) Steel 72 J-valve

I am not in terrible need of tanks, I have a steel 120 and 100 and 2 steel 80s for the gf (All DIN) - it would be nice to have the steel 100 and 120 to go along with what I have now, but as I don't really foresee any immediate (primarily single tank shore dives due to finances) or potential longterm (ie 3 tank boat dives) need for 2 more tanks....Assuming everything passes Hyrdo and I dont need to do any tumbling - I could try and sell the 72s and Alum 80, but have the feeling it may not be worth the effort.

At first asked if he would just sell the steel 100 and 120, but then offered all 5 for 200 :p

Opinions?

I would personally say that is a great deal IF the tanks pass vis/hydro requirements. See if he will pay to have the 120/100 hydro'd and if they become fillable and diveable tanks then buy the 5 and reimburse in full for the extra. I would be leary of 5 large $200 paperweights bytI tend to be more cautious that most at times. It is worth a shot.

Hey All,

Just wanted your opinions on this deal:

$200 for 5 out of Hydro tanks (last hydro was in 2000, all have air in them)
(1) Steel 120 DIN
(1) Steel 100 DIN
(1) Alum 80 DIN
(2) Steel 72 J-valve

I am not in terrible need of tanks, I have a steel 120 and 100 and 2 steel 80s for the gf (All DIN) - it would be nice to have the steel 100 and 120 to go along with what I have now, but as I don't really foresee any immediate (primarily single tank shore dives due to finances) or potential longterm (ie 3 tank boat dives) need for 2 more tanks....Assuming everything passes Hyrdo and I dont need to do any tumbling - I could try and sell the 72s and Alum 80, but have the feeling it may not be worth the effort.

At first asked if he would just sell the steel 100 and 120, but then offered all 5 for 200 :p

Opinions?

What brand? Are the steels rusted, or corroded? There's a lot we don't know.

Are the steel tanks LP? Are they 7/8 or 3/4 valve thread? If the AL is old Luxfer then I'd not want that one.

What brand? Are the steels rusted, or corroded? There's a lot we don't know.

Are the steel tanks LP? Are they 7/8 or 3/4 valve thread? If the AL is old Luxfer then I'd not want them.

The logic I follow is if the 100 and 120 pass inspection then it is a great deal, forget about the AL. If they do as well then it is just a bonus.

The tanks from the small picture seem to be in ok external condition:

3n53k33p15O35W35S6aadaa38611d615219ff.jpg

By the looks of the tanks (the blue one - 120cu ft , and the galv one w/nitrox sticker to the left - 100 cu ft) - those appear to be HP - if the last hydro was in 200 - they are probably PST?

The Alum is the shiney one with the nitrox sticker, and the 2 72s are on the far right and left....

Most places around here anyway, will make you scrape that coating off of the yellow tank. It looks like the one with the coating anyway from here. Me personally, I'd risk it.

I'm concerned a little. I'd want to see under the boots on the steels and I'd want to look inside to make sure they aren't full of rusty pitts. If they won't pass hydro then you're SOL. If the guy will give your money back if they fail hydro then you're going to be out the hydro costs.

For me AL bottles aren't' worth much, but that's me.

So, my answer is still "it depends."

I agree with Steve's logic, forget the ALs for the moment and focus on the steel ones. If they look good then it's probably a heck of a good deal.

I suppose worst case scenario - I would end up with two very expensive wind chimes that have a really distinctive sound :p ...attempting to negotiate with the guy...guess we'll see....

Remember the Tarot and to wash your hands before eating chicken for dinner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom