Would you dive with someone who wouldn't share air if you were OOA?

Would you dive with someone that explicitly refused to share air in an emergency?

• Yes

Votes: 56 10.6%
  • No

Votes: 472 89.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not only would I not dive with someone who states they would not donate air to me should I need it, I tell you now that if I ever saw someone fight off a diver who was signaling OOA, be it myself or someone I don't even know, that diver and I will have a little heart to heart on the surface. And I can assure you it will not end well for the selfish diver.
As a civilized society I would hope people look out for each other better. This species would have failed long ago if we hadn't.

Yes, everyone has a responsibililty to themselves to ensure they have enough gas for the dive, but crap happens and when it does that is when contingency plans go into effect.

Oh, before I forget... There is a term for forcing someone's head under water, especially when they are already drowning. Attempted murder. Just murder if you succeed.

Folks, I don't think we should turn this into a personal issue ... different people have different ways of looking at how to dive.

They're entitled to express their opinions ... even if it goes against conventional wisdom ... even if you or I personally disagree with it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

An OOA can happen from many things that may be out of control of the diver who has the OOA, malfunctioning gages, some form of rupture, failure of a regulator. To state that you wouldn't share air with an OOA diver is a bit wacky since until you get to the surface you will have no clue why they needed to share. Plus, as a buddy you should be tracking their air with your air, I know I always try to keep track of where my buddy is as far as air consumption.

So, from his comment we have to assume he is one of the "same ocean buddies" or SOB for short who doesn't check on their buddies, assumes everyone else can't dive as well as he does and if they don't they should drown.

No, I wouldn't dive with them.

Mike

I interpret Papa B's statements as meaning he might refuse to give if someone is clawing blindly to grab you or whatever they can get their hands on at 100 ft or so...meaning it could be anyone, not just your buddy, on a group dive off a resort boat. It's never happened to me. (not a totally panicked diver) He has stated that he WOULD help but it's his choice.

No problem. Since I've never ran out of air I haven't the slightest as to whether another diver would share his/her air with me. Since I am a bit stronger and a little more intimidating than your average bear I don't think that it would be a problem for me. I'd get the air.

Im my opinion, this indicates a few serious shortcomings. First, any responsible diver will plan their dive. Second, this planning involves knowing at what point to turn the dive safely. Third, a safe dive means having enough resources to get you and your buddy back to the surface if anything should go wrong.

Anyone unwilling to plan to get both of you back to the surface safely is an unsafe diver to dive with. Is your life worth that extra 10-20 minutes of bottom time?

Buddy diving involves an implicit responsibility to take care of one another, and this means (in part) planning the gas.

Now, a panicked situation is a different story. This does not involve gas management, but rather, putting oneself in harm's way - an entirely different set of judgement calls.

A diver signalling OOA is not necessarily panicking at this point, and to deny gas in this situation... well, let's not go there. Accidents happen, even with redundant systems.

I'm not a lawyer and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but it would be interesting if any attorneys here would chime in with an opinion....how would the legal system, both civil and criminal, deal with a diver who refused to share air and let another diver drown?

Another thought - of those of you who voted yes, did you vote that way trusting in redundant systems (such as a pony bottle, spare air, etc)? Would you still vote that way if you did NOT have a redundant system in place, you dove with a (live) buddy, and knew that in an emergency, your life depended on getting air from the person you're diving with?

Food for thought. And redundant systems can fail, rare tho that may be.

Back
Top Bottom