Would you be interested?....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReneeC:
The 8th is Tuesday - so you are welcome to join us if you can.
This is on my best of intentions list, which means I'll be there unless I have to intervene when a student threatens to sue us because her professor actually expected her to attend class...

I'll be able to come on this Monday night now. I'm not leaving until Tuesday. I think Scott (PadiPro) will be coming with me.

Marvel:
I'll be there with bells on!!! :fruit:
I love the bells on thingy. :wink:

mempilot:
I'll be able to come on this Monday night now. I'm not leaving until Tuesday. I think Scott (PadiPro) will be coming with me.

Eric - I really would like you to come but we are not doing Monday this time! It is Tuesday! If we get a good turnout and everyone thinks it is worth it then I will schedule the next one on a Monday.

You sure you can't make it Tuesday????

Renee

dlndavid:
I love the bells on thingy. :wink:

Ahem. From "The Mavin's Word of the Day" :eyebrow:

With bells on, in its most common current use, is an informal expression that means 'eagerly; ready to enjoy oneself', and your response was sure to please your host. There's the added connotation that you're not only looking forward to the occasion (usually some sort of party) but that you're all set to contribute to the festivities and add to everyone else's enjoyment. And "I'll be there..." is so often heard preceding the "bells" part that they're virtually inseparable. You did well.

The interesting thing about with bells on is that its use is amazingly restricted. With rare exceptions, it's a frozen, formulaic expression, part of a social ritual, used almost exclusively to respond to an invitation to a festive event. And part of its normal function is to assure your host that you not only plan to attend, but that you're sure it's going to be one swell party.

You've probably never heard anyone talk about "being there with bells on" when asked casually to go to a movie, for example. And I doubt that you'd respond to a letter of acceptance to graduate school at Harvard by saying you'll be there in September with bells on. It simply wouldn't do.

There are special variations, of course. F. Scott Fitzgerald left the final preposition off in his 1922 Beautiful & Damned, where we see, "All-ll-ll righty. I'll be there with bells." And there is an occasional use of with bells on as a more general intensifier, something to add a little punch. A 1930 cite says, "You can have it...with bells on," and one from 1960 reads (rather rudely, I think), "The same to you, with bells on." But mostly, it's party time.

As for origins, various sources postulate a rather vague association between bells and gala gatherings ("rings on her fingers and bells on her toes," and all that). I myself have always thought of the hat worn by the royal fool--the court jester's cap--with its little round, tinkling bells signaling merriment. So enjoy your party. Have fun. Make a fool of yourself.

Marvel:
Ahem. From "The Mavin's Word of the Day" :eyebrow:

Thank you! I loved it!

My bad. Sorry. Got the days mixed up. I can come on any Monday that you end up getting together.
ReneeC:
Eric - I really would like you to come but we are not doing Monday this time! It is Tuesday! If we get a good turnout and everyone thinks it is worth it then I will schedule the next one on a Monday.

You sure you can't make it Tuesday????

Renee

Hello!
I am new to scubaboard. I would love to meet with you all on tuesday night and get some tips...will miss you Jenny!
mary

maryk:
Hello!
I am new to scubaboard. I would love to meet with you all on tuesday night and get some tips...will miss you Jenny!
mary

We will look forward to seeing you there! Let me know if you need directions.

Ok... Trip reports please....:wink:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom