Would you be interested?....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReneeC

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For the last couple years a group of us have met fairly regularly on Tuesday evenings at a pool in South Miami to practice skills and try new equipment.

It is way too far a drive for me any longer but I miss the opportunity to "play" and also the comraderie of a few brews and snacks after. Therefore....

I was wondering if any of the SBers in the area would be interested if I was to organize a bi-weekly or monthly evening meet at a local pool. While I have one in mind that has a great indoor pool and the shop will provide gear for trying - I don't want anyone to decline because they think I am promoting a particular shop - I'm not affiliated with any one. One of the most valuable experiences of these sessions is to practice skills we tend to forget once we have our experience.

I think I can get a couple shops to loan me various fins, masks, BCs, regs, computers etc. Each pool session would have a theme based on the gear. Of course I would give cudos to the shop that makes the loan - you can then decide if you want to pay them a visit. Then we can hit a local bistro after for libations and refreshments.

Please post your thoughts.

There are indoor pools in southern Florida? I sure wished I had known about that when I was doing laps at night in Miami Beach in 40-degree weather. The getting-in was ok - it was the getting-out-after that was murder.

Cool. Sounds like a plan to me! Go plan O Great Meet N Greet Leader!

Tom Winters:
There are indoor pools in southern Florida? I sure wished I had known about that when I was doing laps at night in Miami Beach in 40-degree weather. The getting-in was ok - it was the getting-out-after that was murder.

Brrrrrr!
No thanks! We'll be staying nice and toasty inside!

Divers Unlimited in Hollywood has a very nice indoor pool. I'm going to start there because I already planted the seed there. Nice 80+ temps and plenty of room to change!

Marvel - Jenny

I'll be in touch. Even if just the three of us start out I bet when everyone else hears how much fun we are having we'll get more participation.

If we get something going I will also contact some of the manufacturers and see if they might do presentations and supply some of the gear. - Great way to get discounts and I'm thinking they will be pretty interested in getting reviews out on this board.

I have reserved the pool at Divers Unlimited for Tuesday, February 8th from 7PM - 9PM. Come early if you would like to get familiar with the layout of the place.

I am meeting with them regarding trying equipment. While I am not intending these sessions to promote any particular shop, it is nice to see a different LDS and take a look at the brands they carry. DU has a pretty good selection of fins.

Please let me know if you think you can make it. This is very unstructured and I encourage you to practice your swimming skills, your basic rescue skills and of course the usual stuff - mask removal etc.

If anyone would like we can go to a nearby bistro and kickback a couple decos after along with some munchies.

Divers Unlimited is about a mile west of the turnpike. Exit at Hollywood Boulevard (Becomes Pembroke Road) and go west - it will be on the north side.

If you take 95, same thing - exit at Hollywood Boulevard and head west past the turnpike.

Couldn't be easier!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom