Would anyone like to dive Devil's Throat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, you did quite different than I did. I am sure that you made the techies happy, but did you like it? Part of Punta Sur Sur, the DT and Columbia Deep sounds cool and I never did it that way but Dario is the MAN.

Dave

So, you did quite different than I did. I am sure that you made the techies happy, but did you like it? Part of Punta Sur Sur, the DT and Columbia Deep sounds cool and I never did it that way but Dario is the MAN.

Dave

Fantastic dive! First time ever there just to do DT and skipping the whole beginning - I vote for buying some 40's and doing tech dives thru the whole site, my three don't cover the whole boat.

No problem.

Indifference is not the right word either. I assure you much thought went into my choices. My concern for the dive was not an extremely brief high PO2 but rather my nitrogen load. Diving a highish PO2 is conservative from a DCS perspective.

As to whether or not 32 on DT is common in Coz, I am not an expert but I can say my personal experience is that it is not uncommon. And I know from other posts on SB that it is offered for this dive by several shops including one of the largest ops on island.
Sorry, again - did not mean no thought went into your dives. I understand your view on dive planning around brief excursions above 1.4. Thanks.

No worries. I agree with AdivingBel. It’s turned into an interesting discussion.

The first time we did it, we entered into a cavern at about 80 feet. We then entered a round opening and swam down into a larger cavern at about 125. There were two openings into the blue. After exiting that we swam up slightly and entered another cavern where there was a wooden cross attached to the coral. We exited that cavern and then swan thru a swim thru that you could see the other side thru.

On each subsequent dive the cross appeared more and more deteriorated.

Since then we have done it other ways, including one in which we had to completely descend upside down to get into the 120 foot cavern with the two openings.

Is the first path the classical dive?

OK - proud was likely the wrong word - maybe indifferent? So, is diving to 134 feet on Nitrox 32 common in Cozumel. I ask as doing that with most Ops I’ve dived with (admittedly, I’ve never been to Cozumel) would put an end to your diving for the rest of the day.

I guess I struggle with the concept of a conservative algorithm being the limiting factor for your dive if, at the same time, you are going way outside of anything conservative by diving beyond a PPO2 of 1.6?

As I said, dive as you like - I just like to understand people’s thought processes when they dive outside of recommended norms as it helps me make more informed decisions on my own diving. No malice intended!
Personally I would not use Nitrox on deep nor on wall dives. My Nitrox strategy in Cozumel is to use air for the first (deep) dive and Nitrox 36 for the shallow (second) dive.

Personally I would not use Nitrox on deep nor on wall dives. My Nitrox strategy in Cozumel is to use air for the first (deep) dive and Nitrox 36 for the shallow (second) dive.
It is dependant on your dive profile, air usage... and dive boat setup.

We dive with Aldora with 120cf tanks. Our bottom time is 90 min on deep multilevel dive (90', 70', 60', 40' than saftey stop. On second dive it is not uncommon for us to have a 100 min bottom time dive (unless you are with air hogs).

Diving Air you will be fighting NDL the whole dive or you will be doing a 70, 50, 40 dive. Also depends on you boat. If EVERYONE is on 32 the 1st dive except you, you are limiting factor.

Aldora does All Nitrox boats (32 than 36) and all Air boats (not ment to be cheerleading). If you are on an All air boat, you doing 36 on a second dive is no impact on others.

Back
Top Bottom