Worthington/xs scuba lp85 failed first hydro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is some stuff from Worthington.

Notice the the "system check" requirements for Worthington for DOT-3AA cylinders .

Worthington Cylinders retest_procedures (with some highlights) .jpg

Yeah, the ability to read and understand a document doesn't always appear to be a requirement to be a hydro tester…

The DOT examiners I dealt with have not required or encouraged a pretest on 3AA tanks.

Ironically, I do a pretest on all steel tanks because it is not prohibited in the regs and I figure every tank deserves a fair shake.

The DOT does not require the pre-test procedure, but it is a manufacturers requirement. It is extremely important to note, that the two requirements are not in conflict with each other.

A hydro testing facility is not required to follow the pre-test procedure in accordance to their hydro test license. Therefore, you will not lose your license if you don’t follow the manufacturers requirements, but if you ruin the cylinder by not following the requirements, you (the hydro tester) are responsible for the damages.

Again, it is very important to point out that the two requirements are not in conflict with each other. Therefore, you (the hydro testes) cannot use the DOT requirements to exempt you from the manufacturer’s requirements.

The following was the explanation that I have received from legal counsel. I will try to explain it to the best of my abilities, but I am not a legal expert, so I may not explain it well.

The hydro tester is a service provider. If a service provider (the hydro tester) does not follow the manufacturers requirements and ruins the product (by not following the manufacturers requirement), they will be responsible for repairing or replacing the damaged product.

For example, you can follow the DOT requirements and end up condemning a cylinder and stamping XXX on the DOT numbers. You will not lose your DOT license for doing that. But you are still responsible to the owner of the ruined cylinder if you did not follow the manufacturers requirements.

My understanding is that you will lose in a small claims court (or civil court) and be responsible for all damages (including legal fees) even if you were following the DOT requirements. This is because the DOT requirements have no conflict with the manufacturer’s requirements.

Note: how many people will take something like this to even a small claims court, is a separate subject...
I only know of one person that will press the subject... for sure... But, there may be more... :)

As I mentioned, I am not a legal expert, so if anyone has any actual legal knowledge, I am very open to corrections. Please, I would prefer facts more than just opinions, but opinions are welcome as long as they are qualified as opinions. :wink:

Sent them a nice email, hopefully they respond and admit in writing weather or not they did the prestreatch.

Thing is, you can't. If the numbers have been marked out, it cannot be re-tested at a licensed test facility. They could get their DOT Certification pulled...

Incorrect, the cylinder can be re-tested. The cylinder cannot be put into commercial use.

@Tracy has anyone tried to get a plus on a lp72 with the figures from @Luis H ?

@Whitrzac have you called the hydro facility to ask if they did the prestretch correctly? most places will rerun a fail and if it fails twice in a row, it pretty much is definitive
I had a set of 72’s plus stamped, then took another set in the next year and hydro shop seems to have forgotten what a plus was. After two months of the dive shop talking to them, I looked up their RIN and contacted them directly. I gave them all the online docs and Luis’s paperwork (@Luis thanks again for all your posts and replies to my questions). After talking to the hydro guy again (he was a nice guy but not a diver and no idea why I even wanted the plus), I did get my tanks back with plus stamps. I did ask for all the paperwork on the tests and what values were used for plus (I had pst and norris tanks), and after a few more weeks simply got the answer “the values you gave me”. No actual paperwork to show/prove for next time. My guess is he used the pst value for all the tanks. He did text me the prestretch process and when I asked he said it applied to my tanks so he sent it. Which I guess is good…
I have about 3 years now to fine a “good” hydro place that understands a plus at all and will do them…..anyone have info on lp95 1970pst or s early 70’s Walter kidde soda bottom 72’s? I Don’t have enough info to even try for these.
Best of luck to all with these older tanks - and Happy New Year!

early 70’s Walter kidde soda bottom 72’s?
How many do you have? Do you want to get rid of them?
Those are my favorite steel tanks.

How many do you have? Do you want to get rid of them?
Those are my favorite steel tanks.
I just have the one. 1/2 straight thread valve but I do love diving it. Just wish I could get it plus’d. it’s a 2400psi. I got it for free and thought it was a normal pst. It sat in my basement for 6 months or so until I looked at it. If I can find three, I’ll go back to Luis’s documents, ultrasound them and calculate the ree. I may have an opportunity to help or take over hydro tasks for a local dive shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom