Worthington/xs scuba lp85 failed first hydro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I was discussing my issue with XS/Worthington, they basically said the test is not being done correctly. There is a minimum time the pressure is to be held, with the statement in the process saying "minimum time or until stability is achieved". Testers are just going by minimum time only, and not letting it stabilize which then looks like a failure...

The test graph shows this clearly...

Dive shops hate divers.
Not as much as hydro shops hate divers.
"Can you look up the obscure ancient REE number in a book so that I can get a meaningless plus stamp"
"Can you do it while I wait, I am in a hurry."
"That is too expensive, This guy charges this much."
"Can you do this time consuming round out procedure and basically test it twice? No, I'm not going to pay extra for that."

Except if you aren't using a real gas house they think you're dumber than a box of rocks and won't read your instructions out of spite.

Dive shops hate divers.

Could not agree with this statement more.

When my tank failed (I bypassed the dive shop and took it to the place that they take them to) I called and asked the dive shop how often they have tanks fail? He said "from time to time".... it was always galvanized tanks go figure.

as I own my own compressor, I'll fill and dive this tank...

Ditto... I got so tired of dealing with ignorant shops. A compressor has been one of the best decisions I could have made for diving. My only cost for tanks is the hydro every 5 years.

Please stay away from me.
These tanks are man made. It is possible that it legitimately failed. My life is worth a bit more than your $300 tank.

What? What are the odds the tank failed? I'm not saying don't get hydro done (I still do) it's about finding a compendent hydro shop. I'd at least get a 2nd opinion.

Could not agree with this statement more.

When my tank failed (I bypassed the dive shop and took it to the place that they take them to) I called and asked the dive shop how often they have tanks fail? He said "from time to time".... it was always galvanized tanks go figure.

Ditto... I got so tired of dealing with ignorant shops. A compressor has been one of the best decisions I could have made for diving. My only cost for tanks is the hydro every 5 years.

What? What are the odds the tank failed? I'm not saying don't get hydro done (I still do) it's about finding a compendent hydro shop. I'd at least get a 2nd opinion.
Is it 0 percent chance that it failed?
So there is a chance it really did fail?
Is your life worth $300? How about $70 to get it tested somewhere else.
I don’t even know you and your life is worth $300 to me.
I used to run a very large hydro facility. Sometimes tanks fail. All kinds of tanks of all ages and makes. It’s the reason for the 5 year test. Maybe you’re good to go, but I like my wife and kids more than $300. I hate for the headline to read “well known instructor died when known defective scuba tank explodes”

Do what you want, In the words of the great @Capt Jim Wyatt ”I ain’t yo daddy”

Just stay away from me.

I'd at least get a 2nd opinion.
Thing is, you can't. If the numbers have been marked out, it cannot be re-tested at a licensed test facility. They could get their DOT Certification pulled...

and XS folks looked at the results, and said "it actually passed"....

Is it 0 percent chance that it failed?
So there is a chance it really did fail?
Is your life worth $300? How about $70 to get it tested somewhere else.
What? Where did I say it wasn't actually a failed tank?
I'm not saying don't get hydro done (I still do) it's about finding a compendent hydro shop. I'd at least get a 2nd opinion.

Since we're on the subject can you cite any article that a tank failed and someone was injured? One that was filled to less than say 4k and ruptured as in the scenario that you're saying? Is it a possibility? Sure... has it ever really happened? Aren't tanks built so that the burst pressure is something like 7x or 10x the working pressure?

Thing is, you can't. If the numbers have been marked out, it cannot be re-tested at a licensed test facility. They could get their DOT Certification pulled...

I have found 2 places willing to retest my failed tank (without any paperwork of course). I just need to get off my lazy ass and do it.

I can get it retested. It won’t ever be returned to service but at least you’d know if it got screwed the first time.

Back
Top Bottom