Worthington/xs scuba lp85 failed first hydro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whitrzac

Contributor
Reaction score
Picked up a pair of xs scuba lp85s with a 2010 DOB, they were dove that year, and stored since then.

2010 vis, no hydro stamps

One passed hydro, the other failed...

Attachments

• 317732637_480705890709496_9001739577609835930_n.jpg
    317732637_480705890709496_9001739577609835930_n.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 63
Picked up a pair of xs scuba lp85s with a 2010 DOB, they were dove that year, and stored since then.

2010 vis, no hydro stamps

One passed hydro, the other failed...
Probably needed some form of round out procedure. Should be rare to fail. I’d have it retested unless there is some other damage that could cause it to fail.

^^^that

never heard of a Worthington failing unless it was for rust either inside or outside.

or the hydro procedure wasn’t followed.

Yeah, pretty sure there is a pretest procedure where it is pressurized then bleed off. I don't recall any Worthington failures, pretty well made cylinder

Judging by the difference between the two tests 7 minutes apart, it would probably pass if the pretest round out procedure is followed.
It has to do with the thick galvanized coating being brittle on top of the soft ductile steel tank. Basically you stretch out the galvanizing and then test the tank immediately after.
(This is a very simplified explanation of why it is done)

Here is a good video what that entails and why.. made by XS Scuba themselves.

I had a hydro place fail one of my tanks.. they XXXXX the sn. One day I'll get it tested again. It's heartbreaking when they do that.

Ask a place if they have ever failed scuba tanks... if they say anything other than very, very, very rare run the other way.

I think it was @tbone1004 that told me to print the procedure and tape it to each tank also.

I think it was @tbone1004 that told me to print the procedure and tape it to each tank also.
Except if you aren't using a real gas house they think you're dumber than a box of rocks and won't read your instructions out of spite.

Dive shops hate divers.

as I own my own compressor, I'll fill and dive this tank...
Please stay away from me.
These tanks are man made. It is possible that it legitimately failed. My life is worth a bit more than your $300 tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom