Worthington/xs scuba lp85 failed first hydro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a good video what that entails and why.. made by XS Scuba themselves.

I had a hydro place fail one of my tanks.. they XXXXX the sn. One day I'll get it tested again. It's heartbreaking when they do that.

Ask a place if they have ever failed scuba tanks... if they say anything other than very, very, very rare run the other way.

I think it was @tbone1004 that told me to print the procedure and tape it to each tank also.

yeah, I supply ALL information now when I bring my tanks in. Having talked to several hydro shops in my quest to get + stamps on my older tanks, I've found many hydro shops and LDS have no clue how to manage tanks. I wonder just how many tanks are wrongfully condemned each year.

I've owned many worthington HDG tanks for 15+ years, both LP and HP. I currently only have 4 left, but I've owned and sold at least a dozen more. In my experience, sticking with a hydro facility that works closely with a high-volume dive shop has served me well. These hydro facilities see A LOT of HDG tanks from all of the various manufacturers. They therefore know the appropriate pre-stretch process. I've never had a single issue with any of my HDG tanks, HP or LP, being failed.

I've owned many worthington HDG tanks for 15+ years, both LP and HP. I currently only have 4 left, but I've owned and sold at least a dozen more. In my experience, sticking with a hydro facility that works closely with a high-volume dive shop has served me well. These hydro facilities see A LOT of HDG tanks from all of the various manufacturers. They therefore know the appropriate pre-stretch process. I've never had a single issue with any of my HDG tanks, HP or LP, being failed.
I would imagine fairly easy to find a hydro shop like that in FL. Around here they won't even touch scuba tanks until they have a bunch.. so it could sit there for 3 or 4 weeks waiting to be tested. Scuba tanks just aren't that prevalent here.

- At $70 a hydro, they should do the test correctly...

- The REE is stamped into the tank, how f-ing hard is it to get a +?
The hydro facility charges $70 or that is what you paid at a dive shop?
My RETAIL price for a hydrotest is $25 up to 6000 psi. That is more than shops and commercial customers pay.
I'm not even at $70 for a hydro, sandblast, fresh paint, visual, and fill.

The tanks with the REE stamped in them doesn't come up, those automatically get the plus stamp if they pass for it.
It is the old steel 72s that people whine about not getting a plus.

I would imagine fairly easy to find a hydro shop like that in FL. Around here they won't even touch scuba tanks until they have a bunch.. so it could sit there for 3 or 4 weeks waiting to be tested. Scuba tanks just aren't that prevalent here.
I don't deal with hydro shops, I deal with dive shops and let them deal with the hydro facilities. But I understand that in many parts of the country, that isn't a viable option. In that case, you would definitely want to do everything you can to make sure they know the appropriate process and follow it. Otherwise you should keep looking. An incorrectly failed tank can be an expensive oops.

@Tracy has anyone tried to get a plus on a lp72 with the figures from @Luis H ?

@Whitrzac have you called the hydro facility to ask if they did the prestretch correctly? most places will rerun a fail and if it fails twice in a row, it pretty much is definitive

@Whitrzac have you called the hydro facility to ask if they did the prestretch correctly? most places will rerun a fail and if it fails twice in a row, it pretty much is definitive

My old place puts big ole X's through the sn:(. The new place said they'll do the prestretch and not X the sn.. gotta wait for PST permit though.

I doubt it. His numbers are correct. So is the number on the old PST paperwork floating around with the misprint on the working pressure.

The issue isn't if the tank will pass. I have never seen a 72 that wouldn't qualify for it and I have owned and sold several hundred of them.
The issue is, if you don't have an old book on hand to look up that REE, you can't stamp it. You can't call the manufacturer and get an e-mail stating what it is, you can't have them verify that the paperwork has a misprint in the working pressure column, they are all long out of business. As with everything in this country, it comes down to CYA.
If that tank were to ever have an issue that resulted in a lawsuit, (this is America, if there is an accident, there will be a lawsuit.) and it came back that the hydro was done incorrectly, you have opened yourself up to liability with zero gain from it.
How do you think it will sound in court,
"You marked "Other" as REE source in the hydro paperwork. Where was this information obtained?"
"A guy on Scubaboard name Luis said it was good."
Yeah, I see that working out great.
It isn't worth potential liability and the risk of getting their RIN revoked so that you can feel good about putting an extra 200 psi in a 50 year old tank.

incorrect statements

Um.... That "guy named Luis" is a licensed professional engineer and provided his professional engineering knowledge as to certification of the value. How do you think the manufacturer did it? He takes the liability in establishing it. It should be a document establishing the value, and certified by his professional seal. No, not word of mouth...

incorrect statements

Um.... That "guy named Luis" is a licensed professional engineer and provided his professional engineering knowledge as to certification of the value. How do you think the manufacturer did it? He takes the liability in establishing it. It should be a document establishing the value, and certified by his professional seal. No, not word of mouth...
Cool. Get a hydro station, get an RIN, and you can plus stamp all the steel 72s you want.
I answered your question about has anybody tried it. Probably not. There is zero to gain and everything to lose.
The facility I work with does thousands and thousands of cylinders per year. And probably 50 vintage scuba tanks. It isn't worth the time or hassle. If you stamped the REE into the cylinder crown, it would be inputted and would come back with a plus. If it isn't stamped or a known value that has documentation, it doesn't. For example, a Taylor Wharton 200 cf oxygen cylinder from the 80s doesn't have the REE stamped in the neck, it still gets a plus. Documentation is on site and they know it from memory as the see 100 of them per month. The big part is documentation is available on site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom