Worthington X7 or X8?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gt3073b:
Is there any contra-indication to diving the X8-130 in a wetsuit? What about in fresh water? Looks like most of you are from the left coast so I'm guessing you're diving either heavy wetsuits or drysuits. I'm using an XCEL 765 1-piece and a hooded vest and I'm 6'0" 210 lbs.

If you're wise - ample ditchable weight, maybe redundant buoyancy (like a lift bag) you'll be OK with diving these steel tanks with a wet suit.

---
Ken

Thanks for the replys. I use 12 lbs ditchable in fresh water with an AL80. Switched to an 11 lb P-Weight and 6 lbs ditchable for salt.

So the difference would be -4.4-2=-6.4 lbs off my belt, leaving me with a ditchable weight of 6 lbs fresh and (without the p-weight) 11 lbs salt.

Point taken regarding the SMB/lift bag.

Did I miss anything?

Thank you,
Bryan.

</end thread-jack>

lamont:
my 119s are actually a little more negative empty than my 130s. i don't think that's a selling point either way, though, since you can 'fix' the 130s with a slightly larger v-weight if you want to. its slightly annoying having double-130s and double-119s though since there's about a 3-4# difference in the doubles. i'm considering doubling up my single 130s and splitting up the 119s into singles to keep things more uniform for my doubles.

Yeah, that's likely due to the slightly smaller internal volume on the 119's I guess.

As you say, not a big deal but the perception seems to be that the larger the tank volume, the more negative it must be. This is only really the case when tank is full. When it's empty, the dimensions come more into play.

I am using the 119 for singles and just got 2x130 doubles but I have not dived them yet...I am hoping to get two T1 dives on them eventually once I get the SAC down a bit.

BTW I will probably be up your way in sept or oct -- wanna go diving ? :)

I'm on my way to my LDS to pay for a X8-130 right now. I couldn't be more excited! Mo2Vation's arguments are totally logical, why would you want a tank that has a smaller capacity? Extra air is good, very good.

I dove santa cruz island last month and ran into an illegal or forgotten lobster trap. Fortunately it was early enough in the dive. I was diving a 72 and would have sucked my tank dry trying to free the critters in it if it was towards the end of the dive. After that, and some pursuasive navy seal tactics from Mo2Vation, Neophyte and HBDiveGirl, I knew it was the right tank for me....and anyone who counts lobsters to try to sleep(thats why I drool when I sleep.)

Billy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom