currently available lp85

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnNumberz

Registered
Reaction score
Am i correct in my understanding that the currently available faber LP85 is rather different then perviously available options? I keep reading about the lp85 being favorable with its buoyancy characteristics but when i look at the spec of the lp85 avaliable to purchase i see a 2+ lb positive when empty... Are the older worthington/pst etc something different?

(FWIW i'm looking for a pair of tanks and am having the continued existential debate between lp85 and hp100. Dont really need the extra air but...

Add a regulator and a bit of reserve air and the LP85 is neutral, which is why it's desired.

However, wanting a higher pressure fill will lead most people to get the HP100 instead. (In spite of the fact the LP85 holds more than 100 cf at 3442 psi.)

ETA: Yes, the older PST & Worthington cylinders are more negative than the Fabers. Might be useful for colder water, but they are difficult to find.

The old Worthington LP85 is slightly negative throughout its range.

Unless you live in an area with dive shops that will give LP tanks generous fills, such as is common north Florida "cave country," the HP100 may be preferable to the Faber LP85.

Worthington and PST LP85s were heavier when empty. And heavier still when full.

I would get the 100s unless you're someplace offering legit overfills (3K at least)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom