Worth rehabbing SP MK20/D350?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flotsam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My Deep 6 din regs are now used for doubles, so I'd like to put, single tank/travel reg set together. I have the opportunity to buy an MK20 with a D350 second for $80. Is it worth getting serviced, how does it breath for rec warm water diving... From reading, seems there's older and newer versions of the MK20, and I prob won't be able to tell until it's shipped to me. Would parts be a problem?

Thanks!

That's a great deal on a regulator that will probably outperform your deep 6 regs. There are 2 potential issues with the MK20, neither of which is cause for concern. One is that there was a recall on the yoke/DIN retainers, and if it has not been done on this MK20, any SP dealer should do it at no charge. The other is the generation of piston; there were 3 different pistons used in MK20s. The middle generation, which has a brass tip, is a known creeper and if there is any IP creep, it should be replaced with the current MK25 composite piston. That's probably a $60 part at a dealer and would be done during a service. The D350 is one of the best 2nd stages ever IMO, and as long as there's no real damage to the reg, a simple rebuild would be fine. I would suggest that you buy it and send it to rsingler (user on this forum) who is an excellent SP technician and specializes in the D series regs.

You can tell if the upgrade has been done on the MK20 by the number of vents on the saddle. 3 vents and it hasn`t been done. Two per side and it has been done. As halocline said, it`s a good deal.

It is a good option, but just have a plan "b" in place if you travel with it. If it needs work, you likely are out of luck, and will need to be renting...

Awesome, thanks! So when I get it serviced, any needed upgrades can be made and get it up to speed. I love the breathing on my Deep6, so as good or better is sweet. And thanks for the SP tech referral.

It is a good option, but just have a plan "b" in place if you travel with it. If it needs work, you likely are out of luck, and will need to be renting...

Are parts hard to get or is it that techs may not know how to service it? Maybe I could carry a service kit with me, if techs are likely to still know how to repair.

Thanks again,

Likely both. IIRC production ceased on 2002, so I'd wager there are techs who have never dealt with one.

Likely both. IIRC production ceased on 2002, so I'd wager there are techs who have never dealt with one.

I'll def have to take that into account when planning travel. Maybe it'll just be my SFL single tank diving setup....

Thanks!

The 1st stage is fine. The 2nd stage however may be problematic. Servicing the the older D series is a bit of an artform and there are fewer and fewer artists these days. Also I personally disliked the bubble interference on my D350, but it is a nice breather

The 1st stage is fine. The 2nd stage however may be problematic. Servicing the the older D series is a bit of an artform

I think the D series are the most trouble free 2nd stages I own; they have such a light spring that the seats last several years. Annual service on these things is extremely easy. But it is true that there are many SP techs that are unfamiliar with them, and if you have to completely disassemble one or replace the dive switch o-ring, it can be a little daunting for someone who isn't used to them. I think the new D420 will help in this regard, although I'm sure there are differences.

Back
Top Bottom