World's First Artificial Gills Re-breather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ooh, very interesting indeed... so it would appear that Facebook has made the corporate decision to enable (and thereby support) fraud? Go Zuckerberg!

What, you mean a site created with express purpose of finding out who censored whom at the prom is not the shining beacon of ethics and morals? Whodathunk!

What, you mean a site created with express purpose of finding out who censored whom at the prom is not the shining beacon of ethics and morals? Whodathunk!

... universities have prom? I don't remember that part... which is probably for the best.

But origins of FB aside, their community standards DO say that:

"Fraud and Spam: How we protect you from fraud and spam.

We work hard to help ensure that the information you share is secure. We investigate any suspected breach of security. Any attempt to compromise the security of a Profile, including fraud, may be referred to law enforcement. Using misleading or inaccurate information to artificially collect likes, followers, or shares is not allowed. We also ask that you respect people by not contacting them for commercial purposes without their consent."

Ooh, and even better:

"Criminal Activity: How we handle reports of criminal activity on Facebook.

We prohibit the use of Facebook to facilitate or organize criminal activity that causes physical harm to people, businesses or animals, or financial damage to people or businesses. We work with law enforcement when we believe there is a genuine risk of physical harm or direct threats to public safety.

We also prohibit you from celebrating any crimes you’ve committed. We do, however, allow people to debate or advocate for the legality of criminal activities, as well as address them in a humorous or satirical way. "

So, really, the bit that I find interesting is that they are effectively just turning a blind eye to what is *ahem* allegedly fraudulent activity happening through their website. After all, using misleading or inaccurate information to collect money IS apparently entirely acceptable and it's somehow not a criminal activity to defraud people? Either that, or nearly $1M isn't considered financially damaging.

Not that I care, really, I just find it interesting.

Off-topic, but: clearly using "fraudulent profile to collect likes" is not the same as parting fools from their money. Also clearly, alleged "criminal activity that causes financial damage" is not something they'll refer to, or even work with, law enforcement.

In the interests of full disclosure: my comments are "opinionated", I don't have an account there, I suspect having one may be bad for my karma.

What crime? What fraud? We're making assumptions based on silly old science. Who knows...maybe they've invented something "special".

In any case, until they fail to deliver, no fraud or crime has been committed. They can always return investor money. And FB could hardly check the veracity of every corporate profile.

In the meantime, they're simply collecting more and more cash from suckers er I mean customers.

What crime? What fraud? We're making assumptions based on silly old science. Who knows...maybe they've invented something "special".

In any case, until they fail to deliver, no fraud or crime has been committed. They can always return investor money. And FB could hardly check the veracity of every corporate profile.

In the meantime, they're simply collecting more and more cash from suckers er I mean customers.

Exactly. Is Facebook supposed to verify and fact check everything posted on the site? If so, they have a LOT of cleaning up to do!

So they claim they will release the new video today. :)....

Meanwhile, I was looking at the device in their video and I think they really screwed up their scam. There are no metallic charging connectors like you would find on a dive computer, nor any visible charging ports. The bottom, top and sides are just flat plastic. In a photo, they have the "dog fetch toy" on what appears to be a charging cradle which would indicate it is charged from the back or bottom.

Anyway, if anyone reading this decided to blow their money on Triton, be sure to search Indiegogo for the "Blewit", because not all performance training happens at the gym, just like not all scuba diving equipment requires a tank. And at least one product is real and will give you satisfaction. :rofl3:
:landmine:

So they claim they will release the new video today. :)....

Nearly 1:30pm here and no video yet. If they are truly based in Sweden, time's running out pretty quickly...

They blewit!

They blewit!

So it appears; the indiegogo page cannot be accessed as of 4:50pm local, and a quick search on that crowdfunding platform under "Triton" does not bring up the campaign at all. Let's see if it stays that way.

Wonder if they got any of the money that was collected from this scam. Anyone taking bets as to how many folks are wailing in their drinks tonight as this progresses?

Update: Now it looks like a page is 'coming soon'? The plot thickens!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/triton-world-s-first-artificial-gills-re-breather/coming_soon#/

..as of 5:15pm local.

Last edited:
They don't get the money until the campaign ends (that was still 23 days from now).
People say they got a refund (on the triton facebook).
End of the story.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom