World's First Artificial Gills Re-breather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes. You are right! Search function reveals numerous thread.

Admin - please delete this thread as it is redundant.

Cheers

X

I first saw this last year and dismissed it as a hoax or a research project that was a long way out but it seems to have been produced and they are manufacturing consumer versions soon. Even at a 15ft max that'd be neat for shallow reefs and such. I would like to try one out before I'd consider it "scuba diving".
Even with the depth limitation (15 feet), this whole thing sounds just a little bit suspect to me. Has anyone else heard of this?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/triton-world-s-first-artificial-gills-re-breather#/

Admittedly this is a crowd sourcing website, but I figured the buzz from something like this would have had to have been picked up somewhere else in the diving community (if it is real)?

Snopes gives it a mixed review.
It began as just a design concept.
At best, one is limited to 15 ft by the design, and 20 ft by the physiology, because you are breathing pure O2.
I find it highly unlikely that it will ever exist as a product, and seriously doubt the claims of those involved. There is an artist/conceptual designer, an "entrepreneur" who does not seem to exist except virtually, and a "marketing genius."
Doesn't it seem like the kind of project that could use an engineer? Or 2 or 3?

I find it highly unlikely that it will ever exist as a product, and seriously doubt the claims of those involved. There is an artist/conceptual designer, an "entrepreneur" who does not seem to exist except virtually, and a "marketing genius."
Doesn't it seem like the kind of project that could use an engineer? Or 2 or 3?

That was pretty much my take. Lovely idea, but like many lovely ideas, sounded insufficiently connected with reality.

But I won't lie - I was secretly hoping that someone would persuade me that it is legit.

Would suck to swim through an invisible hypoxic zone and pass out or clog from all the funk in the ocean. I'd catalog this one with the rebreather helmet. Not practical.

Edit: I saw this contraption a while back and wrote it off, but perhaps it will become a reality judging from the pool test video. Of course that video could be manipulated. Nevertheless, I see a lot of death written all over this. Something like those hover boards blowing up on people. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be an inexperienced free diver tourist, with weight and fins relying on a microprocessor and no depth gauge or training. Over under on how many people die in the first year?

Last edited:
Would suck to swim through an invisible hypoxic zone and pass out or clog from all the funk in the ocean. I'd catalog this one with the rebreather helmet. Not practical.

Edit: I saw this contraption a while back and wrote it off, but perhaps it will become a reality judging from the pool test video. Of course that video could be manipulated. Nevertheless, I see a lot of death written all over this. Something like those hover boards blowing up on people. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be an inexperienced free diver tourist, with weight and fins relying on a microprocessor and no depth gauge or training. Over under on how many people die in the first year?

Yeah, my worry would be even if it functioned reasonably well, you could easily see hypoxic blackout if it has limited capacity to extract oxygen through a membrane system and someone tries to overbreathe it.

The pool video was what actually worried me most in terms of credibility - if it can extract oxygen directly from the water, presumably in an indoor pool it would also extract highly toxic chlorine gas?

But hey, good luck to them trying to develop it.

Last edited:
I'd go further and say this is a straight-up scam. The described technology is not remotely feasible, and even if it was, you can be sure that it wouldn't be a no-name crowdfunded company that would have magically achieved it.

Presumably the idea is to keep any money from 'social media supporters' and the like, and cream off any interest from the cash from the 'serious' backers before refunding their money to avoid being sued for non-delivery.

The defense could be 'oh it was all a social media art project all along' or something of the like, but all the effort put in to misleading imagery puts it neatly in to the 'scam' bucket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom