Woman diver with husband no diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paula paz

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I'm wondering, is that odd that a wife like to dive but the husband don't? that is my case, and some times I feel like a real frak. :alien_3:

How many men divers are with non divers wifes? Why it doesn't seems to be that odd?

I was posting in "average age of divers" thread and there i found that there was a lot of men divers who said his ages and his divers wifes ages. But there was no women divers who speak from his husband. All women just speak from herself. I wonder why?

Is there any one who feel that way? Is there any other diver wife, with no diver husband, who want to share her experience? maybe it could be helpful for me. :biggrin2:

Tks

Any of my friends that dive, it's pretty much couples that both dive, but that reflects who I hang out with more than anything. I went on a group trip last year, 18 people with 3 couples, 3 guys alone, and all the rest women whose husbands didn't dive.

We have several women who have non-diving husbands. There doesn't seem to be a problem.

I'm a woman diver who spoke for my husband!

But I have to say that my experience is that there are more male divers than female, at least in our area (and I think that's the industry's experience as well). Why this appeals to men more than women is a good question. For one thing, gear is HEAVY and technical and appeals to people who like to tinker, which tends to be more a man's sort of thing. The theory of diving is very mathematical and scientific, which to date, in our society, is more a male preserve. But the experience of diving is very aesthetic and nature-oriented, which are things which attract women. So you'd think it would all balance out, but still, according to the shop where I got certified, 80% of divers are men.

well they can go lounge around the resort/dive shop while u dive . . . . or pick you up when u done . . . not really a problem . . unless it bothers him that you dive with other men divers . . . :D

Hi, Im the same as you, my husband doesnt dive basically because he cant swim. I took up diving this year, did my OW cert with my teenage daughter and son. I noticed that at my local dive school in the UK that a lot of women are taking up the sport, in fact on their last OW course there were 6 women and only 2 men. My instructor was a woman and she had a totally different approach to teaching to a man which was great for me as I was a nervous beginner and she had much more patience than the male intructors. Im sure this isnt the 'norm' though, as when out diving i would say that 70% are men. Dont worry about it, just enjoy it.

Interestingly, in Japan there are more female divers.

My husband dives, but I had to talk him into it, and it is definitely more my thing than his. He will go with me and enjoy himself, but he's just as happy if I go off with some of our friends and let him do his own thing.

I think you should just be happy with what you like to do and let him be happy with what he likes to do. It's good for people to have their own things that make them happy, as long as the two of you can compromise some time together and as long as he is okay with the fact that you will probably be spending time around a lot of other men, then you two shouldn't have a problem.

paula paz:
Hi, I'm wondering, is that odd that a wife like to dive but the husband don't? that is my case, and some times I feel like a real frak. :alien_3:

How many men divers are with non divers wifes? Why it doesn't seems to be that odd?

I was posting in "average age of divers" thread and there i found that there was a lot of men divers who said his ages and his divers wifes ages. But there was no women divers who speak from his husband. All women just speak from herself. I wonder why?

Is there any one who feel that way? Is there any other diver wife, with no diver husband, who want to share her experience? maybe it could be helpful for me. :biggrin2:

Tks

I posted for myself, my husband, and my grown sons.

I dove for years before my husband was sertified. He finally got tired of my having all the fun without him, and agreed to do a discover scuba with an instructor friend. He is now my dive buddy (and DM!) of choice.

A former student is a vacation diver, married to a man with severe asthma so he does not dive. They plan vacations where she can dive and he often fishes or just hits the beach with a book while she is off diving. They make it work.

If we may ask, why is your husband not a diver?

Back
Top Bottom