wireless computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I enjoy having a wireless wrist unit. It makes diving more enjoyable for me. I also like being able to keep my expensive computer with me on surface intervals and while driving around with the dive gear in the back of the truck. If an AI wrist computer is a "con" or a waste of money to some, so be it. It's my money and I am happy with my purchase. For those who feel otherwise, can't afford one or fear the technology, then by all means don't buy one.

I have never lost a link for more than a second or so, and can only recall noticing it once on a dive. I have seen it a few times in the data after downloading dives to a computer. On the other hand I take photos quite a bit and therefore often have my wrist extended fairly far away. As I said, it has never been a problem. Besides, its not like I need streaming data showing my remaining gas second by second.

I used to also have an spg backup all the time. My spg broke and I have replaced it but have not bothered attaching it. One of these days I suppose I will. Till then, in the unlikely event of a computer failure, I'll have to end the dive and go get the spg.

The extra hose of an spg is really no big deal to me, but after several years with ai computers, I am pretty comfortable with their reliability.

I and everyone I regularly dive with use Oceanic and Aeris dive computers and we are happy with our choices.

Hi Charles,

I had it once in Marsa Alam in 2006 but I can't remember the diving's name anymore and aboard a live-aboard in 2008, I think it was Miss Veena which was then cruising in Egypt. By then, I had also a finimeter with me, so it wasn't a problem. I don't know how the situation is today;
I'll be aboard Miss Veena next april in Saudi Arabia and I'll check then again if they have the same policy yet.

Best wishes,
Vincent

Very well. My next liveaboard trip will be in the Red Sea so I've been scouring various websites for operators. I can find no reference to a restriction on wireless A/I computers.

Thanks!

-Charles

I had 2 Suunto computers, with wireless transmitters, the D9 and now the HelO2 (I do technical dives). with both computers, I got significant problems pairing the transmitter and computers. I did not like the D9, which is a fashionable but expensive gadget and sold it soon after purchase and bought the HelO2, which works quite well. What does not work is the transmitter, with different types of problems: difficulty pairing it, pressure reading interruption, erroneous information (for instance: correct reading until I got 70 bars, and suddenly jumping to 110 bars... serious security issues.

Consequently I sent back my transmitter to Suunto for repair. They checked it, told me that it was working properly and that the problem could come from my computer. I sent it to them for verification. I just received both on them for repair after two months, I have just check it: the transmitter refuses to pair with my computer. I am really upset.

On a more serious mode: a pressure transmitter is an electronic equipment and needs to send pressure information wireless. So it may fail quite easily and it fails, many divers on this forum have testified this fact. Conventional pressure gauges have worked for years and given security issues of being out of air underwater, I don't think gadget are recommended. Anyway, I am a diving instructor and would NEVER recommend my students and fellow divers to use a pressure transmitter, as especially not a SUUNTO one, given my own experience.

scubadiver53 interesting this is your first post and you are condemning hoseless systems which have been around long then you been diving. Try reading the instruction on how to pair the units because you most likely did not read them.

Second more dives have run out of air on a standard pressure gauge then on hoseless system so get your facts right.

And you should provide the download from the dives but of course now you are going to say I don't download my dive I use my log book.

I have to agree with Scubadiver53 on the Suunto AI transmittors. I had trouble with mine on two occasions. Although when I told this before on this forum, I was told basically I was an idiot by someone that has had no problems.
I have gone to Uwatec and have no problems now. They are also uprating thier transmitors to have extra antenas inside the housing to improve thier already great reliability.
Also, I still use a paper log book even though the Smart Trak is a great bit of software.

CPH I have to wonder about you suunto claims you seem to be a real scubapro cult member. By you own definition you should not be diving a uwatec it failed under water on you and by your theory you should have move to a oceanic or mares computer.

"My old Uwatec Aladin Pro failed on a dive but you just abort the dive, continue to the surface... "

I think a computer failing underwater is worst then a signal lost for a few minutes.

NCadiver: your post seems to indicate you have direct interest in the dive computer industry??? Don't worry, I know to read a notice and how to use a computer. I am a diving instructor (IDC staff) and have been diving for close to 40 years. I have followed the development of diving computers which were a big advance for divers security. I do technical diving, too, with VR3 and Suunto HelO2 computers. I mention this just to let you know that I am not a beginner. I like the HelO2 since it is user friendly and very readable at depth. I do download my dive to my PC, and if you provide me with your email address, I will send you the dives that show the erratic reading of my Suunto transmitter.

Anyway I tried two Suunto computers with wireless transmitters (D9 and HelO2) and both had the same pairing and pressure transmission issues. That's why I have given up using them and strongly recommend all divers to stick to their analogic pressure gauge (and of course to have their reg serviced regularly).

One last and funny aspect of Suunto: when I send my transmitter for revision to Suunto technical services and they told me that it was working properly, the guy wrote: "Please note that during diving there are some things that can effect (shortly) the wireless information transfer like metal..." it does not seem to know that the reg to which the transmitter is attached is made of metal, and the tank too, hence if the transmitter is affected by metal, it is obvious it will not work properly.

I had an old Uwatec Aladin pro when I first started diving. It was second hand and cost just 30 pounds. About $50. It had a low battery and when it failed, it needed a "Heart reset". Because of lack of funds at the time, I continuied to dive with it for another year or two with no problems. Then, because my missus had a Suunto, I went along the Suunto line for my next computer. I had three in the end but with the problems I had I decided to look for something else. Thats when I done alot of research online and with many cave divers and from what I heard, I decided to go with the Galileo. I like the compass, I like the big display, I liked many of the other features and it was given to me at the right price. I personally think they are a great computer. But hear the key word. Personally. It would be a very boring world if we all chose the same things!

But anyone who says that wireless or AI computers are dangerous are pointing to a flawed logic. Fighter jets (and many of today's weaponry) are loaded with sophisticated electronics, and I dare say that they are in life-and-death situations as well. They also have contingency protocols for failures.

Increased danger only comes with a failure to acknowledge potential/added risk and not accomodating for it accordingly. There was a time when Nitrox was killer gas, then it was Trimix, and I still laugh at those who claim that dive computers are a danger. As I said above, it is a diver who dives beyond their capabilties (physical - mental - environmental) that poses a risk to others, not the equipment.

Don't blame the tool for the owner's inabilitiy to use it well. As I've heard said "Guns don't kill people, my cousin Vinny kills people.":D

Right on...

My Nitek HE died recently and I couldn't see spending the extra coin for the Trimix capability since it always gave me too much deco time anyway. So I purchase an Oceanic VT3 and I love it.

It's wrist mount so I can see everything, just like the Nitek, but it also gives me additional info as well, like pressure, estimated dive time remaining, etc. It does loose the link every so often for very short intervals so I turned off some of the alarms like turn pressure, since when the link is re-established and air pressure is below turn, the alarm goes off again.

As far as less hoses, I kept my gear configuration the same (DIR), so I still have the brass SPG as a back up. That also reduces the amount of reconfiguration necessary as I switch from recreational to tech diving. :( All I have to do is remove the pressure transducer, no hose changes are necessary. It's a crying shame some folks can't embrace technology. Instead they hide their computers in their dry suit pocket. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom